The (Im)Perfection Dare

Why are you on Wattpad right now?  What made you join?  Do you like to read?  Maybe you like to write.  Either way, I’m challenging you.  Or daring you, rather.  To be yourself, completely and utterly be yourself.  

I’ve noticed lately that so many writers on Wattpad are unhappy, or leaving the site.  Well, I want them to see the fun in writing again.  That rush that you get when you write one of your favorite scenes, just so eager to put the words on paper, make them materialize from simple thoughts in your mind.  So if you accept my dare, that’s what you’ll be doing this month, or next month, or next year.  Whenever you want.  Forget about grammar, forget about being a perfectionist, just write.

The Challenge (for Writers) :  Each day will be assigned a writing prompt.  Your mission is to take that prompt and write one scene with it.  Maybe you want to write about two characters meeting, or an intense argument, a death, a birth, a marriage, a kiss.  Anything.  The only rule is that you have to enjoy it.  If you are stressed by the challenge, take a break or stop all-together, maybe switch to the reader’s challenge (below).  Don’t be afraid, you won’t be the only one breaking out of your comfort zone.

The Rules: Enjoy it.  Write the way you want and remember why you started in the first place.

My Rules:  Personally, I’ll be making up a few rules for myself.  I’ll probably be writing short scenes, not worrying about backstories or explanations, only about the chemistry between characters.  If I decide to stop participating in the challenge, I promise to read the work of a participant and comment each day.  

The Challenge (for Readers):  Each day, read the work of one person who is participating in the challenge.  Cheer them on.  Learn to read with imperfections.  Don’t judge, just get lost in the story, the characters, the beauty of the words and maybe, if you like it enough, I dare you to try writing for once.  Give it a shot.

Example: The perfect example of this challenge is “songs about love” by Defend (idea suggested by @cataclysm :) ).  This is written without grammar, it’s a bit hard to understand, but regardless, I love it.  Go check it out for an idea of what I mean by “ (im)perfect writing ”  But, don’t feel confined by this example.  Write how you want, not by the standards of others.  That’s the whole point.

One last thing, please tag your story with “ Imperfectdare “ so that I can find your work!  I want to see how everyone takes the challenge.  Please comment on this if you plan on participating (or even if you don't plan on it;)!  Don’t forget to spread the word!

So join me in becoming a better writer, more comfortable writer, a more interesting writer, whatever your goal is, let’s achieve it, together.

Enjoy. x

"Perfect is boring.  Human is beautiful"- Tyra Banks.