explanation

Sophie scrambled away from Fitz so quickly that she knocked her chair over backwards, slamming into the table behind her, which promptly tipped over and spilled mallowmelt all over the floor.

Fitz just stared. And stared. And stared at Keefe.

And for a second, all three of their eyes met- Sophie was staring at Fitz, who was watching Keefe look at her.

Keefe opened his mouth to speak and then closed it. Finally he asked quietly, "Sophie? What are you doing?"

"I-" But Keefe had already slammed the door of Gorgodon's Haven shut, his cape billowing as he stomped into the cold wind.

Sophie glanced at Fitz, unsure if she should be mad at him, or herself, or Biana- or maybe all three. But she glared at her ex anyways, slid off of her chair, and followed Keefe outside.

__________

Keefe didn't know what to feel.

The way Sophie and Fitz were looking at each other, leaning closer and closer... he thought that look was only reserved for him.But now- Fitz had probably asked Sophie out, she'd said yes, and just like the rest of his life, he was being forgotten.

Lot's of people care about you, Keefe.

That's what Sophie had said. But apparently she wasn't one of them.

He pinned his Sencen crest closer to his chest as the cold wind whipped at his hair. But he just kept walking- through the dark, through the empty streets.

"Keefe!" Sophie's voice shouted over the wind.

Keefe didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear anything, just keep walking, and walking and walking....

"Keefe! Listen to me!" 

Sophie's hand tugged on his shoulder, but he couldn't bear to turn around and face those beautiful brown eyes that had been staring into Fitz's for her entire teenage years...

How did he even think he had a chance?

Fitz was a golden boy. Heck, Dex even called him Wonderboy. He was a Vacker- famous, born into the Nobility, and made girls everywhere get weak-kneed whenever he grinned.

And he was just... Keefe.

His parents- one in the Black Swan, the other in the Neverseen -were about as evil and cruel as they could get. 

And he knew that Sophie could see behind his mask of jokes and smirks and smiles and flirting....

"Keefe! I told you to listen. To. Me!" Sophie shouted again, struggling to keep up as he quickened his pace.  "I was set up! Biana told me she was meeting me and then Fitz showed up instead and it just happened so fast I can't-"

"You still did it!" Keefe yelled at her. "You still kissed him! You said you were mine... I thought you were mine... "

"I do love you Keefe! I just got..."

"Carried away?" Keefe spat at her, knowingly.  "Look- aren't you the one that tells me that those things come from the heart?"

"I also remember telling you," Sophe reminded him, forcing him to face her, "That actions never tell the whole story."

"Well I don't want to hear your story!" Keefe told her. And he forced himself to blink the hurt out of his eyes as he raised his home crystal up- to the darkness -and felt the cold rushing him away.