Chapter 23: Panic

"Ha. Ha. Ha."

The voice from the PA system was low and condescending. It made everyone's breath stop. The group of friends clung to each other in terror.

Lindsey held onto Damian as he stood stiff. She knew that he would have to go off and fight the man behind the explosion. But right now, she was terrified. More terrified than when she was at the Gala in an armed robbery all those months ago. She needed comfort from Damian in this moment.

"I think we should have some real fun," the voice said. "Bring out the gas, my henchmen."

"EVERYONE RUN!" Damian shouted above the screams. He grabbed Lindsey's hand and pulled her behind him as he ran.

Lindsey let Damian drag her through the crowd of stampeding people. She looked behind her to see her friends not to far behind them. Logan and Giovanni were behind the girls, making sure they were all together. Noah was in the front keeping an eye on Lindsey and Damian, leading the pack.

Damian was in his element, Lindsey noticed. He was trained for situations like this. Except, he was used to running the other way, into the danger. Where was he taking them? Where could they possibly go that would be safe once the gas was released? There were no enclosed buildings anywhere. The gas would seep through any cracks, anywhere.

Damian's mind was racing. The explosion happened towards the front of the fair ground, where the entrance was. They were trying to keep people in the grounds. Most people were running without thinking. Flight mentality. All they were thinking about was getting away.

Batman would be here soon, and he would want Robin's help. But he can't just leave Lindsey and the others. But there was no where for them to go or hide from the gas. And if they did find somewhere to hide, what excuse could he have to leave them.

He knew Lindsey wouldn't like it, but he would need to loose the group. He would find somewhere for Lindsey to hide, then put on the spare mask until he got back to his motorcycle where a spare uniform was hidden. That was the best chance. He just had to make sure she would stay there.

"Damian," Lindsey pulled Damian out of his thoughts. "You need to go. I'll be fine with the others."

Lindsey knew that her friends shouldn't know about Damian's secret. He needed to leave right now. He needed to go fight and save the others here. She could say that they got separated in the crowd when they asked where he went.

"No," Damian snapped. "I have to make sure you're safe first."

"Damian, go," Lindsey cried, tugging her hand from his.

Damian reached for her hand as she went to run for the group not far away. His quick reflexes caught her bicep, pulling her close to him.

"Damian, let me go," Lindsey cried. "You have to go fight."

"Not until you're safe first," Damian said quickly, tightening his grip on her arm. Lindsey let out a yelp of pain.

"Guys, let's head to the circus tent," Kelsey said. The group of friends had reached the arguing couple. "That's our best chance."

"Yeah, come on guys," Blaine said, tugging on the two of them.

Another explosion erupted from behind them. This time it was closer. Lindsey whipped her head around as screams and psychotic laughs called out into the night air. Tears came to her eyes. All these people, they were hurt. Many more were probably going to be hurt as well.

"Let's go!" Logan shouted, pushing them towards the direction of the tent. The group ran together. Damian grinded his teeth together. He held onto Lindsey, refusing to let go. He needed to make sure she was safe and get out there.