6. Question

Jungkook stares at me in surprise.

Wasn't he expecting it? This honestly shouldn't be surprising. Raehyun is one of the worst players in the school; and one of the strongest too.

Jungkook's body language shows agitation as we stay silent. I start getting confused because of the way he's acting. Maybe I should ask what's wrong.

"Hey" I spoke up. "Are you okay?" I ask, confused. Jungkook breaks out of his shock and nods.

"I'm sorry Raehyun did that to you," he signs. Jungkook gives a sympathetic look. "Why?"

Ugh... this question. I huffed out a sigh and shrugged. There was no answer to that. That prick just does whatever he wants and gets away with it.

"Why did you help me?" I asked.

Jungkook furrows his eyebrows in confusion. "Excuse me?"

"Why didn't you leave? Why did you help me instead?"

Jungkook is silent, probably thinking of a reply, and this was something I wasn't going to let go of. The way he helped me... it was such a genuine, and kind thing that nobody had ever done to me. There wasn't anyone who would do that... besides Tae.

Jungkook scratches his neck, as he stammers a few 'ums' and 'uhs'.

"I... see something different in you, in a good way," he starts off. "You're... a nice person to be around."

I let a slight smile show on my lips. It looked like Jungkook was trying every way to avoid saying 'I care for you'.

"Thank you."

It was barely over a whisper but Jungkook still heard it and smiled back. We continue to sit on the bench but this time it was a comfortable silence that I felt. I'm beginning to trust this guy and maybe I won't be regretting it anytime soon.

I was still wondering why Jungkook was so shocked when I said it was Raehyun though.

Maybe he's never been in a situation like that before.

That thought lingered in my mind as my surroundings became much more colder. It was getting windy and chilly and Jungkook noticed too. I wanted to ask him about Raehyun before he leaves but decided to hold back on it.

Jungkook looks back at me as we both stand up, getting ready to leave.

"Can you get home safely? Do you need me to walk you?" He asks. I shake my head immediately, at the thought of walking with a boy home. Father would kill me.

"No I can make it on my own," I reply with a reassuring smile. We then both bid our goodbyes and went off on our own ways.

..............................

There were dark grey clouds forming as I walk quickly down the road and I suddenly felt a drop of rain on my head.

Shit. I have no umbrella.

Scowling at the thought of returning home again, I slowed down my pace and made my way to another turn.

Rain is nice. Yeah, it won't matter if I get wet. I love rain.

I'm half expecting father to be passed out drunk the moment I come home because every time, it's been that way for as long as I could remember. Other times, we would be warring at every hour just because of something that isn't a big deal.

In this situation, I was expecting both to happen, after the incident with my broken hearing aids.

My legs grew tired and sore as I walked and I felt my entire body getting weak... just like when Raehyun..... nevermind. Thinking about it makes it more worse to bear.

I was shivering from the cold by the time I got to the side door of my house, and my clothes clung to my skin, adding weight to what I already had on my back. I slowly twisted the doorknob and stepped inside hoping that father wasn't at home.

Surprisingly, the house was silent besides the noises of rain hitting the windows and water dripping from my hair to the floor. I scanned the room, and all the other rooms in the house but saw nothing else.

Strange.

Maybe father went out to drink or something.

I sighed in relief and happiness, finally having the house all to myself after a long day. Quickly pulling off my bag from my shoulders I got ready for possibly the most relaxing afternoon.

Father isn't here to shame and ridicule me.

I can do what I want.

I decide to reward myself to a nice hot shower and dinner. Drying my hair, I made my way downstairs and searched through the fridge for anything to eat. My eyes landed on a container of pasta and I went to heat it up immediately. While munching on the food, I take out a first aid kit and tend my wounds.

Although I wasn't quite sure about what happened today, my mind kept on going back to my talk with Jungkook.

My mind landed on that one question again.

Do Jungkook and Raehyun have something going on between them?

An unanswerable question—at least not yet, because there can always be evidence that I never noticed.

Word count: 854