Tom

Sometimes Tom wished he heard voices only in his head; they couldn’t possibly be as demanding as the voices of his clients and colleagues – or the persistent nagging from the women in his life. His wife, his sister, hell, even his secretary – they all had something to say about how he should be living his life. Work less, they said. Spend time with the kids, they said. Call grandma, they said. Meanwhile, his clients expected him to be on call twenty-four-seven. So did the other lawyers. That’s what the women in his life didn’t get – if you wanted to stay on top you had to give up a little personal freedom along the way. He was a good provider for his family, he didn’t carry on like some of the other partners, drinking and cheating whenever the opportunity presented itself. So what did they really have to complain about?

“Tom?” one of the other partners popped his head through the door. “I’m heading out. You coming?”

“Sorry, Derek. Can’t. I have too much work to do.”

“Where’s your secretary?”

“I sent her home. It’s the holidays, after all.”

“Pfft,” Derek scoffed. “It’s just another day filled with potentially billable hours.”

“Then why are you going home?”

“Who said I was going home? I’m going to Sanderson’s party. Like you were expected to?”

“Right. Well, give my regrets to the host. And go easy on the eggnog.”

Derek laughed as he headed off, his laughter echoing slightly in the increasingly empty office. Tom rolled his shoulders and got back to proofreading the agreement that was due tomorrow morning. It was going to be a long night.

By the time Tom had finished up for the night, his eyes were bleary and probably red like Rudolf’s nose. He fumbled a little with the lock to his car, but it opened, and he put his briefcase on the front passenger seat before strapping on his seat belt. Man, he was tired. He rubbed his eyes and rolled down the windows let get some of the cold air in. It was only a short drive back to his house; he could stay awake for that long.

He had just barely finished his thought when his car lost traction on the icy road leading home and slipped out of his control. He was wide awake when he hit the girl walking on the shoulder of the road.