chapter twenty

Chance winced as I pressed a gauze pad topped with antiseptic cream onto a cut above his eyebrow, which was slowly leaching small amounts of blood and liquid.

            I grimaced at his pained face, hating the fact I was the one inflicting the sting. “Sorry. Jamie got you good, though.”

            He smiled, though I could tell it was forced. “Yeah, he packs quite the punch when you’re the one getting smacked in the face.”

            I looked down and dabbed another cotton ball into the cream, feeling a rush of gratitude towards Hamilton for supplying each dorm room with a stocked first aid kit. It had never had a use before beyond the normal kitchen injuries, but now it was really coming in handy.

            “I’m sorry,” I said, too ashamed to meet his eyes. I swallowed. “I never wanted this to happen. Not to you and Jamie.”

            “It’s not your fault,” Chance said quietly, and I could tell by the genuine tone in his voice that he truly meant it. But, still, I couldn’t help but think maybe this was entirely my fault.

            “Yes, it is,” I argued. “It’s my fault he found that stupid brochure in my purse.”

            “It’s not your fault he fell in love with you, Candice,” Chance said, wincing once again as I put a small bandage on the cut. “And it’s not your fault he went into a jealous rage, either.”

            “Still,” I said weakly. “This is all because of me. And now I’ve gotten in between you guys. I hate being the reason you’re not talking to him. You’re best friends. It just isn’t right.”

            He cupped my face, forcing me to quit the nurse act and focus on him and him only. “Candice, you can’t blame yourself for what he did. For what I did. Okay? I chose to fall for you, and he was too late. And, no matter how much he hurts, there’s nothing we can do to stop that. He’ll get over it. Now, repeat after me: It’s not your fault.”

            “It’s not your fault.”

            He smiled and knocked his forehead gently across mine. “Smartass.”

He brought his lips towards mine, as if there was some kind of gravitational pull bringing us together. His lips met mine. I smelled antiseptic, and I could taste something tangy and sweet on his lips. His hands gently traced my skin, making me shiver, and his fingers curled into my hair. I kissed him as if he were my oxygen, and my arms threaded around his neck, bringing him close to me.

            He stopped and leaned back, pressing his forehead against mine. He breathed heavily. “We should probably stop.”

            “Why?” I asked, my fingers reaching up and pushing a lank of hair back from his eyes.

            He stared at me strangely. “Um, maybe because your roommate is due back any minute? That could really put us in an awkward position, and I’d hate to mentally scar Ava forever.”