Chapter 5

Okay! Hopefully I get this chapter out around the same time as chapter 4, so yeah? Enjoy or don't, up to you. 

Honey POV

"We know what you do for us, Athena. Let us help you."

Thomas and the crew were here, and Bailey had them outside. The biggest part of the plan was coming, and we had to nail it. 

"We know how late you're up working for the orphanage. We know what Mrs Fincher makes you do. We know-" I took a deep breath "We know that you hurt yourself."

Athena looked at me, stunned that I was talking, and that I knew all this about her. I gestured to Aiden, silently asking him to pick up from where I left off.

"Athena, you're an amazing person, but that's exactly what you are- a person. You need to sleep, you need to rest, and you need to take care of yourself. You barely ever eat anything, and you drink like, one cup of water a day. And yo're sleep schedule-" Aiden pulled out the graph we had drawn "Look at this. the average amount of sleep you get in one week is 16 hours. that averages out to be 2.285714285714286 hours of sleep a night. And why do you do this?" He motioned to Annelise.

"We know the responsibilities Mrs Fincher dumped on you. We know that every night you're up cleaning and cooking and making sure we can live the best life possible here. And we love you for that, and we're grateful, don't get me wrong, but you can't do that if you get sick. We want to help you."

"Also, we want to get you adopted today. That's part of our plan!" Everyone looked at Gus, obviously annoyed. (Basically the face Virgil's making above) 

"Well!" I said, "No idea what that's about. Anyway, we need to know for real, Athena. Seriously, you've never been adopted when people come, and you're the sweetest person here. Why?"

Athena looked down at her hands folded in the lap. "I-I always act nasty. I pretend that I'm a cold-hearted-" she swallowed, a tear escaping the corner of her eye "-A cold-hearted brat. Like my parents told me I was."

There was an intake of breath around the room- Athena had never mentioned her parents, always skirting around the topic, and not letting anyone find out who she really was. For her to let this information out- it was more surprising than me talking.

I knew we had to get her adopted today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Thomas POV)

I looked at Joan, Talyn, Terrence and Valerie sitting at the table, wearing the same awestruck expressions as I was. We stayed like that for a while, listening to the other hubbub of conversation until Bailey waved us out of our stupor, and we got up. 

"Come on!" He whispered, "We have to go before Mrs Fincher calls us. Stay here until we're gone, and explore the lounge room. We'll see you again in the main hall!" He grinned, and led us to the kitchen. 

"Got to go now, bye!" He ran off back into the lounge room, and started chatting with the other kids. As we watched, Athena changed, and as she talked to them she became happier, and motherly. Like she was a mother. I guess she kinda was, to them. 

We heard Mrs Fincher shout for the children aain, and this time we saw the door rattle and open, the kids pouring out. I saw all of them walk out, chatting and laughing, but looking anxious to meet us. Ha. Relatable. 

And then we saw Athena.

I mean, we're in Florida, right? The weather is always hot. But Athena wore a Virgil hoodie. That and a long sleeved Patton shirt, and a Roman necklace. She does like Sanders Sides. I mused, taking in her appearance, and obvious love of my YouTube series. But why did she wear the hoodie? A voice echoed in my ears- 

"We know you hurt yourself."

I was determined- I came into this not thinking I would adopt, but there is a child who needs help. I never want to hurt anyone and do my best to help them as much as I can, so it's settled.

I'm going to adopt Athena.

Okay! Yes, it's short, but I wanted to get these out today and I couldn't think of how to start the next sentence so I ended the chapter. Also, I exist. That's about it. Thank you SO MUCH for 300 reads, love you guys so much!

-Me