Chapter Thirty-Four ~ The Search of His Rose ~ Part Three

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

Nikolai's POV

We marched in unison, the sound of our heavy metal clinking together. We trudged up the rugged frozen mountains, it's unrestrained cold nipping at any exposed flesh. The faces of the soldiers held nothing but a stoic expression, their muscles rigid at the thought of the pending battle ahead of them.

My senses were all on alert as I scoured every rock and jagged turns of the mountains. They towered over us as looming shadows, giving us no protection against the cold. I recalled past memories of young Chuvarian boys using this place as a rite of passage to prove their manhood.

Philip and I had combed these mountains before, learning the inner and outs of the paths. We did it solely for the purpose of quenching our curiosity and to possibly fight Ceasian barbarians.

I stopped my thought process when I smelled the faint scent of burning wood. As if it were trying to be masked. I raised a hand to stop my men and they immediately came to a halting pause. A stiff silence surrounded us and I perked my ears hoping to find any clue that could lead us in the correct direction.

I knew that in the next route I would meet Bastian, but there was a fork in the road that led to the actual path of the Ceasian Kingdom. I froze again when I heard the scream of a woman, and my heart dropped lower to my stomach at the idea of what could possibly be happening.

I directed my army with a two-finger movement, meaning to proceed but with caution and quietness. Thoughts of various scenarios filled my head and my blood began to boil with a sickening rage that made me want to taste blood.

I wanted to rush up there but the rational battlefield side of me knew that the element of surprise would be in our favor.

We followed the screaming sounds which had now become little mourning sobs. My horse rounded the corner immediately and I found a small climb that brought me to an open area in the shape of a huge hollowed cave. I could make out a few men sitting around a campfire. A few were hanging around the opening of the cave and I could see the flashes of brightly colored dresses.

My heart thundered at the idea that I would be reunited with Rose. I prayed for her safety and the safety of my sister and the other women. For now, I would relish in the idea of tearing through the skins of these savages.

I lifted a hand up, my mouth curling into a cruel grin at the awaiting violence that I would savor in. My hand slowly curled three of my fingers, leaving my thumb and index and the thudding steps of my army rushed past as they began to circulate the area. 

The archers would surround the small camp from all sides and I looked as one of my war generals, Malin Pion, signaled back that they were ready.

I looked back at Alister Pavol, who signaled that they were ready from their end. I noticed Philip supporting his own bloodlust smile.

My hand then curled into a fist.

I charged forward with my black stallion, unsheathing my sword. I could hear the sounds of my men behind me unsheathing their own weapons and their thudding footsteps as they rushed up camp. I reached there first, my lips twitching at the first glance of pure horror and surprise that stretched their faces.

They probably didn't expect us to be there so soon or so many of us.

I could hear my heart pounding in my ears, the sound of the horses as they swayed with their owners. The Ceasians rushed quickly to gather any sort of weapon to defend themselves but my men had already drawn their swords and had most of them at knifepoint.