Real Heros

Episode(s): 11

~On the Bridge~

"Where do we put this?" asked Rei to Tazuna as she and Usagi helped move some metal beams.

"Over there," said Tazuna as he pointed in the direction the two needed to go.

"Kay!" said the two girls as they walked toward where they needed to be.

"So why is it just the two of you?" asked Tazuna as he walked up to the girls.

"The exercise that Kakashi-Sensei and Haruka-Sensei had us do was easy for us," said Usagi with a smile.

"Yeah, they figured that we were best to send while the others train. Kakashi-Sensei still needs to rest, and Haruka-Sensei is watching everyone's training," said Rei with a smile. 'Luckily, if something does happen, Haruka-Sensei will at least be able to help us.'

Tazuna smiled and the walked away to work on another part. After a few minutes, one of the other workers walked up to him.

"Tazuna, uh, I need to talk to you," said the man as he walked up to the old man.

"Uh?" said Tazuna as he turned around and wiped his face with the towel he had around his neck. "What about?"

"The thing is, I've been thinking a lot about the bridge. And I decided I've pushed my luck far enough. I want out."

"Now you're going to quit on me, just like that?" asked an angered Tazuna. "You're kidding!"

"What's going on?" asked Usagi to Rei.

"I don't know," replied Rei as she and Usagi moved closer to Tazuna and the other man. 'The man isn't a threat. That's good.'

"You know, I stayed on because of our friendship. But I'm putting my life on the line every day I stay here. Gato and his thugs will show up eventually," said the man.

"Hmm," grunted Tazuna in anger.

"When they do, they'll kill you and the bridge will never get finished anyway. It's a lost cause, Tazuna. Why don't we stop now while we can still get out of this alive?"

'To have so much fear that hope seems impossible. These people really need the bridge. If Tazuna were to stop, it would all be over for them,' thought Rei as she looked on in shock.

"No chance," said Tazuna, shocking the others. "This is our bridge. Our island is poor, and it will stay that way until this bridge connects us to the mainland. Commerce, trade, and hope – that's what we're building here!"

"There's not going to be much if we're all dead," replied the man in anger.

"It's already noon. Let's break for lunch," said Tazuna as he walked past the man. The man turned to look at him.

"Tazuna, let's not end it like this."

"Save your breath. Oh, and Giichi, don't bother coming back after lunch," said Tazuna as he continued walking. Rei and Usagi looked at each other in concern. They then nodded to each other with looks of determination and ran after Tazuna.

'If he needs more help, I'm sure Haruka-Sensei wouldn't mind sending the rest of the team,' though Rei as she ran.

~That Afternoon~

"Where are we going?" asked Usagi as she, Rei, and Tazuna walked through the town.

"You want to eat tonight, don't cha?" asked Tazuna as he looked at the girl. Usgai was on his left while Rei was on his right. "I have to pick up some things for dinner."