My Review on Soul Snatching

When I first saw the concept for this story, I was both immensely intrigued and my curiosity was piqued. In this story, we follow Tara, a soul snatcher who is on the hunt to receive her soul back. In this book, the world's population has exploded, meaning that everyone must now 'share' their souls with someone else, or perhaps a few others. In order to own their entire soul, they must defeat those who own the other parts of the soul.

Therefore, the concept of soul snatching is born. This was an extremely unique and highly individual idea, and it was without a doubt, very original. However, I found myself confused throughout most of the book, as I was not given very many details and was left in the dark. I stumbled through this story, finding it hard to understand what was going on, as it was very rarely explained.

In fact, there was one point where the author before beginning a chapter, the author had to tell the readers when the story was set, and answer many other questions, which for me was a major downfall. As an author, it is their job to weave the information into the story, rather than simply telling readers, outside of the stories. I found it a major turn off, for what was largely a great story.

Another point, which could be improved, was the level of detail. The author created this fascinating and immersive world, which could have used so much more detail. I want to know more about this place, how it looks, smells, sounds. Everything requires a sense of atmosphere which was clearly missing. I felt like I was trailing through this place following this amazing character, without really knowing where I was going.

A good point however was the level of emotion in the scene when Tara finds out her older brother has died due to soul snatching. She was absolutely devastated, and it put more salt in the wound when she came across the person who killed him. Tara feels conflicted when she wants to kill the guy in revenge, but feels that he brother would not wish her to do so. There was high level tension and a great concept.

Another turning point is when Tara discovers that she must kill 5 other people to regain her entire soul, and among them is her long time crush. She is then left feeling irritated as she begins tackling the emotional implications of this find. Is she able to kill him? If so how, and would he kill her first? This created suspense, and left the readers hungry for more.

I found this was a great storyline, the sort that leaves people wondering how one person could ever come up with such a high level thought that could evolve into this. I don't think I have ever come across something like it. However, I felt that this story would have come more alive if it had been carried out in higher detail. With so much to describe, it is the one fault of this story. I wanted to know more, but it was never quite delivered. Perhaps, due to the story being uncompleted at the time that I read it; I am yet to find out these answers that I crave.

In conclusion, a great but rather short read, especially if you like something a little bit different to your typical high school romance. I can't wait to see where this wicked idea will take the readers. Congratulations to you Eye of the Beholder, for coming up with such an incredible scheme, I am sure that this story will get people hooked. There is plenty of action and drama to get out your popcorn out for!