Fights and New Friends

I awoke for a peaceful slumber to the irritating sound of my phone going off. Nightmares from nearly moments ago slowly began melting away, my demons crawling back into the darkest corners of my room as I became more awake. My eyelids must have weighed 20 tons each as I peeled them open to glance at my alarm clock. "5:00AM" Was shining through my room in a red haze. Anger began to take over my body, starting from my toes and filling me whole. Who the hell would be calling me at 5:00 in the damn morning? Maybe it was the morgue to tell me my mother had been found dead, considering she disappeared from my life. I picked up my phone and my mothers contact picture stared me in the face as the annoying bell rang from the speakers. My eyes widened slightly in shock as I slid my thumb pad across the screen, answering the call. Slowly bringing the device to my ear, I managed to croak out "Mother?".

An audible breath was let out from across the line. "Saphire, darling I'm sorry I haven't tried to reach you in a while, things have come up." A bile slowly rose in my throat as I heard my mothers voice. Tears welled up in my eyes and threaten to spill over. I blinked quickly, not wanting to shed tears for the woman. I couldn't find words. Nothing came to my lips, my vocal chords were aching, I felt like Ariel. Anger slowly shot through my veins and my mother spoke once again, "Saphire are you there?". The anger filtered throughout my system and brought my vocal chords back to life. "Let me guess, you've found yourself a new man and you aren't coming back?" I spat out angrily as my tear ducts won, sending streams of warm, salty tears down my cheeks. An ear splitting scowl shot through the speakers of my phone at my mothers dismay. "How dare you insult me in such a manner after I've taken care of you your whole life! I know I work a lot but that is no excuse to resent me. I put a roof over your head you ungrateful little bitch. And yes, for your information I have found a man. He's a great one too, let me tell you. He's got plenty of money and would like me to live with him in his beach house in San Salvador. And I said yes. You are to live in the same house until you turn 18, I will send you monthly checks to take care of yourself. You are no longer home schooled, you will start public school today. Be at the High School by 6:15." As I opened my mouth to tell her how much of a piece of shit she was, she cut me off and continued. "And Saphire for Gods sake no fucking fighting. And don't trash my house." As she finished her sentence a mans gruff voice was heard in the background "Baby who are you talking to? Come back to bed". My heart was finally split in two. "He doesn't even know about me does he mother?" I choked out. As those words left my lips the line went dead.

My grip on the phone grew tighter and tighter as tears streamed down my face faster. A heartbroken sob wracked my small form as I bent over and tried to catch my breath. My grip lessened around my phone as it fell to the floor. I was drowning in agony as I drew back my fist and punched the wall as hard as I could, successfully bruising my knuckles but leaving the wall un damaged. I drew my fist back once again, determined to make a hole and let some of this pent up anger out. As I drove my fist towards the wall, someone grabbed my arm and gently put It back at my side, and wrapped their arms around my waist. Gage. I slowly turned around in his arms and sobbed loudly into his muscular chest. How did he even get here? I was beyond caring at the moment. "Shhhh..." He murmured into my hair as he kissed the top of my head and rubbed small circles on my back. My sobs died down as he held me. I focused on the sound of his heartbeat to even out my breathing. "Why aren't you trying to murder me?" I asked suspiciously as I peeled open my wet eyelashes and looked up at him. His chest vibrated with his deep chuckle. "I was going to until I heard that phone call." He murmured softly trying not to upset me again. I nodded slowly. At least he was a gentlemen. "Let's get you ready for school." He grinned cheekily at me. My heart immediately fell to my stomach at the mention of school.

______________________________________________________

A large grey brick building stood in front of me, massive white pillars supporting the roof of the building. The student body buzzed all round, sitting on the stairs doing homework that was due yesterday, making out beside the front doors, smoking pot by their cars, etc. From what I saw, there were six groups. The Jocks, The Cheerleaders, The Gothic's, The Druggies, The Outcasts and The Nerds. How cliche. The Cheerleaders swarmed around one girl and her lemon colored Corvette, painting their nails, popping their gum, and laughing too loudly. The Jocks all passed around a football and tried getting a peak at what was underneath some of the Gothic girls' plaid mini skirts. Exhibit A, as to why I hate school, and people. I looked down at my outfit, white leather jacket, navy blue frilled sweetheart necked tank top, dark blue skinny jeans, and black combat boots. My hair was straightened, long golden blonde strands reaching my lower back. My makeup was simple, eyeliner and mascara. Clothing wise, I didn't fit into any of the groups. I was destined to be clan-less.