Card Games

The rest of the training Poe managed to give her that day was largely uneventful. Mostly directing her posture and where to put the pressure when she kicked or punched her target. The best part, Sola only managed to fall twice, and Poe hadn't needed to catch her on either occasion. Both times she'd reacted fast enough to either lad on her hands and knees, or roll back onto her feet. Her reaction time was getting better, and by the time they were done that evening, the pilot as her coach, was pleased.

The offer of further teaching had been offered to her after, whenever the Commander was free before his next departure, he would check in on her progress and test her skill to make sure she was getting stronger and hadn't forgotten the manoeuvres.

For one reason or another, Sola took that time and held onto it with both hands. Spending any time with Poe was a treasure, he always either seemed to be busy, or off base. To waste his precious time on some lowly mechanic who tinkered with droids all day, it wasn't something she took lightly. She was thankful.

Still, however. She worried about taking up his time. Surely he had more important tasks to tend to. Other people to spend time with. He spoke highly of his pilots, they were like his family, the way he smiled when he spoke of any of them hurt her heart every time. Sola both wished she had a family like that, and that he was off in their presence rather than her own.

Lizzy and Rose were becoming like family to her in a way, like sisters. She had even been introduced to Paige, Rose's sister on one occasion. She was a little older than Rose, taller and with sharper features. But just as kind, and just as passionate.

"Some of the other pilots were talking about going to a bar on D'Qar tonight" Paige explained as she sat with Rose and Sola at the side of the landing strip for lunch.

"We should go, all of us" It was an obvious invitation, one that made Sola look up from her sandwich to blink at Paige.

"Sure, but I might be a bit late, Lazslo wants me after lunch for something he needs help with" Rose grinned, excited by the prospect of getting off base for the evening. She wasn't one to drink really, but sitting in a crowd of rowdy Resistance members sounded too good to miss.

"Sola?"
Gosh, was it time to answer already?

"M-Maybe..." In comparison to Rose, the idea of being around a group of rowdy, drunk people didn't quite appeal to Sola as much. Even if Dameron was around, she wasn't sure seeing his lovely face in such a noisy room was worth the heart trouble afterwards.

She did want to try, try and adapt to such an environment. To enjoy spending time with her new friends and not frighten away into a corner just because the volume around her rose with cheers and laughter. One day her heart rate wouldn't pick up like it did when she arrived on base. Sola wanted to make sure of that.

"Can we walk there, t-together I mean, I've never been away from the base" Arriving there with someone she knew was a good first step to ensuring a smooth start at least. It meant the mechanic would have someone to guide the way and sit with, instead of turning up late after being lost for an hour and then frantically needing to search the room for their faces.

"Of course, I'll pick you up and we can meet Paige there" Rose, being the saint she was, had waited patiently for the debate in her friends mind to calm before she spoke enthusiastically at her request. Patting her shoulder as she went on about meeting the other famous pilots again, and if she'd be able to speak to any of them. Paige assured her she would.

Being from a desert planet meant Sola didn't have much in the way of clothing. Especially clothes which could be considered fancy in any way, meant for special occasions such as this. Which resulted in a rather lousy simple little dress that just reached her knees and was an auburn colour to be being thrown on. With only two pairs of shoes on hand, Sola opted for the brown boots which were cleaner than her work pair and grabbed the simple jacket the Resistance had provided her with on her arrival to cover her shoulders. Her hair remained up in a half bun to keep most of her face open and free to cool off in the crisp D'Qar evening air.