Chapter 8: With You Always

Caitlin Snow perked up as she heard that familiar whoosh echo throughout Star Labs, but as she turned to face the Scarlet Speedster she found that he wasn't there. She furrowed her eyebrows, rising from her seat to see where he had gone. As she entered another room in Star Labs, she expected to find another empty area but was proven wrong when she found the man inside the Starchives, orange lightning shooting back and forth as he gathered materials to repair the time sphere.

She was filled with trepidation as she slowly made her way over. Something felt off about this. He had his back turned to her, so she spoke to grab his attention. “Barry?” She muttered out quietly, and he raised his head up a bit giving her confirmation that he’d heard her. “What are you doing?” She asked, and he finally turned to face her.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” He answered, and it seemed as if he was trying to keep his eyes out of her gaze. But she eventually managed to lock eyes with the man, and she saw something dark inside those orbs, something that wasn't Barry, it was something else entirely. "What's wrong, Doctor Snow?"

She stumbled backwards as the man edged closer to her, lightning crackling in his eyes. "Where is Barry?" She questioned, her eyes flashing white as the back of her legs hit the work station behind her.

"I'm right here Cait." The pretender mocked and Caitlin's locks turned white as Frost emerged to take control. Frost stood there with an irritated look on her face, her jaw growing tense as he began vibrating his hand. "I can't keep up the charade." He whispered out in an all too familiar tone that remined her of someone, but she just couldn't place it. "I'm sorry Doctor Snow, but I want to go home, and you won't stop me."

"Thawne." She spoke with disgust for the man as it finally clicked in her brain. As he edged closer, Frost created two icickes but the need to defend herself dissipated when she saw him drop to the ground, Cisco Ramon standing in the doorway with a meta-human dampening gun held tightly in his arms.

...

Half an hour later, the Reverse Flash stirred to conciousness inside a pipeline cell. The speedster laughed, his cackle bouncing off the walls as Cisco and Frost watched him closely. "Isn't it funny how I always manage to end up in here when I come to visit?" He spoke it like he was a family relative. He rose to his feet, using the walls to steady himself before addressing the two standing before him. "You have questions, ask them."

"Where is Barry?" Frost spoke through gritted teeth and Eobard continued to look at her with a cocky smile on his face. She stepped closer to the windowed front of the pipeline cell, staring at him with a burning gaze as she waited for him to break the excruciating silence.

"Do not worry, he's safe and sound in here." Eobard assured, gesturing to the body he was currently residing within. For now. "I'm just taking the wheel for a little while." He cleared his throat as he brought his hands up against the cell door, leaning forward. "I used Barry to help me escape his hell of a speedforce, and once I get out of here and get home, I'll find a way to get my body back. Then, I'll leave him to die."

Frost knew he enjoyed watching her anger and discomfort but she couldn't resist clenching her knuckles tightly, wanting nothing more than to shove an icicle through his heart, but if she did that, then Barry would be lost forever, so she took a deep breath before stepping back. "Why wouldn't you just use his speed to travel to the future, why rely on the time sphere?" Cisco inquired.

"You don't think I tried that?" Thawne rolled his eyes, reveling in his belief that he was so much smarter than the two of them. "I have access to his speed but I can't go fast enough to travel back to the future."