No Hesitations

No Hesitations

Synopsis: After breaking up with the only guy she's been with, Birdie hits the town with her best friend, with one specific mantra running through her head all night... No hesitations.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Birdie Michaels is finally back in the game... and she looks like a total babe..." my best friend Kennedy cheered me on as I emerged from her bathroom in what felt like nothing.

" my best friend Kennedy cheered me on as I emerged from her bathroom in what felt like nothing

As I pulled at the hem of the teal dress, I rolled my eyes.

"I was never exactly 'in the game' though, Ken. I mean... Zach was my only--"

"Nope... nuh-uh. See, that's what we're not gonna do tonight, okay? No mentioning any ex-boyfriends. Especially the ones who kept my little Birdie caged up for six years and didn't let her spread her wings. Now, come sit that pretty little butt of yours down so I can finish your hair."

Kennedy was absolutely right. Zach and I knew each other all throughout elementary school, then the cards fell into place during our junior year in high school, and we began dating, even graduating and attending college together.

Zach was sweet, caring, and practical.

Every mother and father's first choice for their daughters.

For a while, I went along with it, and our life became a mundane routine I was desperate to escape.

When he proposed the night after we graduated college, I knew what saying yes would mean.

Saying yes would automatically qualify me for the life of a 'kept-woman', with my only priority being to make sure I had an 'heir and a spare'.

I loved Zach deeply, and would always be grateful for our time together, but I knew I wanted more in life.

I didn't want to have my whole life planned out for me.

I wanted to wake up, not knowing what the day would unfold.

I wanted adventure.

Which is why after rejecting Zach's proposal, I loaded up my car and drove nearly 300-miles nonstop to my best friend in the entire world.

Kennedy had been there since Zach and I got together and had always said he was too 'vanilla' for me. Then she'd proceed to tease me because I was into 'vanilla' aka whiteboys.

About twenty minutes later, Kennedy finished taking out the pins in my hair and thick, full curls cascaded down my back.

"Damn you and all that good hair," she said as I ran my nails through it, fixing a few pieces in the mirror.

After a final look in the mirror, the dress pair with gold strappy heels and my 'Birdie' necklace, I felt better than I had in a while.

"You look perfect, mamas," Kennedy said, taking a step back to glance over my ensemble once more. "We're so getting you laid tonight."

🎉 You've finished reading •𝔸𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕘𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝔸𝕗𝕗𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 • 𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕝𝕠𝕘𝕪• 🎉