Worried

I woke up the following Saturday morning to the birds chirping and the sun gleaming in my window. I hoped my mother went to the hospital so I could have peace and quiet after the other night, but I was wrong; the day was just getting started.

I walked down to the kitchen to make breakfast and that's when I saw blood. I tried to stay calm until I saw her lying on the kitchen tiles. I quickly grabbed my phone to call for an ambulance and tried to stop the bleeding, but nothing was working. It kept pouring no matter how many towels I used or how much pressure I put on the wounds. It was like a sink with an open drain and the water running; it just kept flowing.

It felt like hours before the paramedics arrived. "How long has she been down?" The younger, blonde, paramedic asked.

"I'm not sure. I've just been trying to stop the bleeding." I replied with uncertainty and fear in my voice.

"Alright well we have to hurry and get her in the van before she loses any more blood. We have to give her fluids and more blood. Do you know what blood type she is?"

"Uh yeah, AB negative."

"Oh great, a rare one. Alright well let's get her up and going. Any preferences on which hospital?"

"Yeah, Grey Memorial." I didn't want them knowing it was her because the people at the hospital would find out eventually and then it would get back to everyone at school, which would make me the talk of the town. I could only hold off the inevitable for so long.

"What's her name, so we can tell the dispatchers." The older paramedic asked.

I paused for a minute.

"Ma'am, her name?" He asked again.

"Ellis Grey."

"You mean The Ellis Grey? We've gotta go. Let's go, Luke." The older paramedic rushed to get her to the ambulance.

"Wait, can I ride with you? I don't have anyone else." I asked in hopes that they would let me ride in the back, so I could learn. Sounds selfish, I know.

"Uh, yeah, ride up front with Luke."

I was disappointed, but not at all surprised. I hopped in the front and away we went. Throughout the whole ten minute ride all I could think of was why she did it in the first place. Why would she want to kill herself? Could she not live with herself either?