Fire In The Town

Gilbert ran after Josie. "Ruby told me what you said to Anne" she stopped and turned around to Gilbert.
"Annes ruined all of our reputations in this town. It doesnt matter now. The orphan is getting what she deserves right now", she said pointing in the direction of the shed. Gilbert looks around for Billy. He's no where to be found. Anne. He was waiting for Anne.
He sprints to the shed. Billy's still knocking on the door when Gilbert tackles him. "Where is she", he says right before he punches him. Billy tries to punch back but Gilbert punches again. Billy smacks him and quickly gets up. He's weak from Gilberts punch. Before Gilbert can stop him, Billy throws a match at the shed. Gilbert watches as the shed starts to smoke.
Oh no Anne. She's in there. No no no. Billy runs off like a coward but Josie stays. She must have run after Gilbert. From the look on Josies face she must not have known of Billys plans. Gilbert yells at her to run for help and Josie takes off.
"ANNE ANNE CAN YOU HEAR ME" Gilbert runs around the shed looking for a way in.
Meanwhile poor Anne tries to break the lock but it won't budge. She kicks and kicks. The flames are large now. She starts coughing from the smoke.
      Gilbert starts kicking the door. There's no water around so he starts to think of some other plan. He can only hope help comes soon. "ANNE IM TRYING. HOLD ON. ITS GOING TO BE OKAY"
   Gilbert's here. Gilbert. She tried to say something but starts coughing loudly. The sound of her coughing motivates Gilbert to kick harder. Eventually the door falls and Gilberts facing a scared Anne. The fumes are to high. Anne just smiles knowing it's the end for her. Gilbert looks determined and runs in the flames. He's coughing too.
       "Gil cough you shouldn't have cough"
         Gilbert just holds her hand and looks around for a weak spot in the wild red and orange flames. Anne falls on her knees. The smoke becoming to much for her. "ANNE" He thinks fast. Picking her up bridal style and running out of the flames. He fell to the ground dropping Anne. After a few seconds of coughing he crawled over to a weak Anne. Her breathings slow. Gilbert stands up slowly and continues to carry Anne farther away from the fire.
          The rest was a blur for Gilbert. Josie had gotten help. He remembered Matthew and Bash looking down at him and Anne. Anne. He woke up to find himself in his bed. He looked around his room. It was morning telling from the way the light was shining from his window. He got up slowly and headed downstairs.
           "Gilbert, your awake. How are you feeling? Here sit down", Mary said. Gilbert nodded his head. The rest of the day was filled with Mary taking care of him and Bash teasing him.

                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marilla was sweeping the kitchen when she heard a knock on the door. She opened it to find an out of breath Gilbert Blythe. He was scared of Marilla answering the door. He thought the Cuthberts would be angry at him for what happened to Anne. What happened next surprised him, Marilla hugged him.
"Thank you Gilbert for saving our Anne", Marilla cried. "Anne keeps talking in her sleep about what-what happened"
"Really Ms. Cuthbert it was nothing. Uh is Anne awake?
Marilla shook her head. "Shes been in and out since the fire. The doctor told us she'd be fine."
"Oh uh when she wakes up could you tell her I stopped by then?"
"Yes of course. Oh could you give Mary some of my plum puffs for me?"
Gilbert agreed and took the basket. He said his goodbyes and walked home. Was he ever going to tell Anne how he felt?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marilla was shocked to find Anne standing at the bottom of the stairs, when she walked back in the house. "Anne", Marilla hugged her. Anne hugged her back.
"Marilla who was at the front door?", she asked.
"It was Gilbert. He came by to see you but you were sleeping", Marilla stated.
"I need to see him. Where's my coat?", she said walking to the door. Marilla stopped her.
"Anne, you just woke up. You can visit him tomorrow. You need your rest, okay. You sit down and I'll run out and get Matthew, he's been so worried" She walked out quickly.
"Sorry Marilla", Anne whispered to herself before sprinting out the door towards the Blythe house. She ran most of the way through till she saw someone a few paces ahead. She finally stopped out of breath. She did just wake up less than an hour ago. She tried calling out to the figure up ahead which she knew was Gilbert. She suddenly fell on the ground, exhausted. And that's when Gilbert looked back at her.
He ran to go help her. "Anne are you alright?" he asked concerned, reaching out his hand for her to grab.
She nodded, grabbing his hand. When she stood up, they both noticed how close they were.
"Thank you for saving me Gil"
"Of course Anne girl", he smiled at her. They locked eyes for several minutes before Anne broke their trance by saying she needed to get home before Marilla got worried. Gilbert watched her go. He thought it just wasn't the right time to tell her. They had both just went through a lot. He continued to stare at the back of Annes head, deep in thought when she suddenly looked back. Embarrassed about being caught, Gilbert looked at the ground. He only looked up when we noticed Anne wasn't moving either. She to was looking at the ground.
"I like you", he blurted out loud.
Anne walked slowly up to him. Gilbert was nervous. He went back to looking at the ground. He heard her whisper "I like you too". He looked up to her smiling at him.
"You do?"
She nodded before kissing him. He kissed back. Gilbert and Anne were both happy now that they finally admitted their feelings.