8. rain

I enter the mess hall dripping wet from the rain. "Shit it started to rain heavy." I pant and closed the door behind me. All eyes are on me as I walk over to David. "How are they doing?" I ask him. "They are really smart they move forward pretty quickly." He grins and I smile back "Didn't expect any less of them" I say. After a few seconds, David asks if I was cold. Only now I realized I'm shivering. David didn't even wait and left to make a tea for me.

Soon after Max came running over to ask something a little annoyed. "(Y/n) we need help, come over." He pulls me at my hand to the riddle they're doing right now. "What is the answer?" Ered asks. I put my hands on my hips. "Come on campers I won't just give you the answer." All of them moan in annoyance . I roll my eyes and sigh "I can give you a clue." All of them listen carefully "It has something to do with an animal you see every day." The campers start to think.

I stand up again to go to the kitchen but I could see David staring at us from the kitchen. I walk over to him. As soon as he notices me he stiffens and blushes. "Ehm here's your tea, (y/n)" He says not looking me in the eyes. "Thank you" I take the cup out of his hands, brushing my fingers lightly against his. I feel my face getting hot and I smile at David. We look back at the campers, who won the trophy. All of them cheering. Even Max.

"I think you make Max happy." David says as we look at him. "You think so?" "Yes. He opened up a lot more since you came." We both smile.

"What are we gonna do now? They finished the riddles faster then we planned." Davids asks himself. "How about we play in the rain and after, they go shower while we make them hot chocolate." I smile at David. He smiles back with his typically goofy grin. "That's a wonderful idea." He tells the campers what we just discussed and most of them seem happy about it.

Gwen entered the mess hall and as soon as she heard the idea she told us to go with the campers that want to go while she stays inside with the rest. Except for Preston, Max and Neil, we all went out in the rain. We play catch. Counselor versus Campers. After 5 minutes, we got everyone except Nikki. David and I surrounded her, slowly approaching her. David and I made eye contact as a sign to catch her now.

I made a step but it was too big, so I slipped and fell on my back. David is leaning forward to hug/catch Nikki but she's faster. He loses his balance and falls forward as I close my eyes for the impact. It doesn't hurt but I can feel David's legs next to mine and his chest on mine. I open my eyes. He leaned on his forearm next to my head and his other hand next to my waist. We both blush and just gaze into the eyes of each other. His eyes are a beautiful ocean green. I could stare at them for years.

My heart is almost jumping out of my chest. I can even feel David's heart on my chest which is pounding almost faster than mine. Our lips close before touching. I didn't know what to do until I heard the campers singing. "David and (y/n) sitting on a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" David and I both laugh at the song but were blushing at the same time. He stands up and helps me get on my feet.

We hear Gwen shouting from the mess hall and they come running over out in the rain. "We want to play, too!" The Preston screams getting followed by Max, Neil and even Gwen and we play another round of catch. It is really fun. Max is looking to Gwen and David, away from me. Now's the chance. I sneak up behind him, hug him and pick him up. I spin us around once and giggle loudly. "Ahh! You scared me!" I set him back down and smile at him as I ruffle his hair. He runs off to the others that got caught. I watch him go. I just wanted to turn away as he trips.

I rush to him and gently pick him up. His knee is bleeding and his hands to. I pick him up and carry him to the mess hall. On the way there I get the first aid kit from Quartermaster, who was doing his rituals again.

I put him on a table in the mess hall and sit on the bench. I opened the first aid kit but stop immediately as I hear some tiny sobs from Max. I cup his face with my right hand. "Does it hurt or did it just startle you?" Max looks down in his lab. "It's nothing." He says simply. I don't want to push him too much so I just say "If you want you can tell but you don't have to if you don't want, sunshine." A tear rolls down his face and he doesn't say anything.

I treat his wounds and give all of them a small kiss. "What -hicc- are you doing? -hicc-" Max asks concerned in between some sobbing. I smile "I kiss your wounds for better healing." I say softly. Max pressed his words out. "Is this -hicc- what moms are supposed to -hicc- do?" I look sad at Max at the thought that his parents might be toxic. "Ohh, darling." Max stretches his tiny hands out to me, looking away because he's too embarrassed to ask for a hug. I hug him gently and rub his back a bit. We let go of the hug and I kiss his forehead. "You should go shower now. The others should shower too." Max nods and leaves.

I go out to David and tell him to stop before they catch a cold. We send them to shower and come back to the mess hall in comfy clothes. The campers and Gwen went showering but David insisted to help me make the hot chocolate.