three - frank perconte

( frank perconte, bastogne, sadness )

BASTOGNE WAS A PLACE THAT NONE OF THE SOLDIERS OF EASY LIKED. It was cold, it was dark and it was dangerous. Shellings happened amsot daily, food was in short supply and everyone was miserable. Y/N felt the same as all the men, she was miserable without her constant supply of coffee - almost like Nixon and his Vat69.

Being a combat nurse, Y/N often made the rounds through the foxholes that her friends resided in and she brought warmth with her. Although the men wouldn't tell her, they knew what reaction they would get, each man thought Y/N's smile was the brightest.

One soldier in particular loved the way she smiled - Frank Perconte. Whenever he could, the small Italian man would glance at Y/N just to feel warmed up by her smile.

As Y/N made her rounds that day, Frank was one of the last foxholes that she visited. Her usual smile was nonexistent, a frown on her face instead. It concerned the men but they didn't want to anger her, fearing she was already angry.

Getting to the final foxhole, which contained Frank and George, Y/N climbed in and let out a sigh. The two men glanced at each other before Frank spoke up "You alright, Y/N?"

The woman looked at Frank, the smile taking over her frown for a split second before her brows furrowed once more. "No." The two waited for her to elaborate but instead she began to cry.

Without a second thought, Frank moved closer and pulled the woman into his arms. It wasn't often that someone was smaller than Frank, but Y/N was slightly smaller and that made him happy.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" Y/N clung on to Frank as she cried, shaking her head. The Italian looked to George who got the hint and left the foxhole. He muttered something about seeing doc Roe before leaving, only Frank and Y/N left.

Frank pulled back and allowed Y/N to lean away from him but she didn't. She was no longer clutching the man but just laying on his chest. He looked down at her, seeing that she was just staring across the foxhole.

Frank went to speak but Y/N spoke first "I'm fed up Frank. Of this snow, of the cold, of the shellings and of having to fix my friends up." she sniffled before she continued.

"I don't want to lose anyone, they're all like my brothers." For a second Frank felt hurt by the way Y/N spoke, not saying 'you' but rather 'them.' Then she spoke again "I don't want to lose you Frank, you mean too much."

The man looked down at Y/N who now had her eyes closed. Smile slightly on his face, Frank pulled the woman closer and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"You mean more to me than you know, Y/N." Frank believed the woman to be asleep but a smile graced her face for a moment before she truly fell asleep against Frank Perconte's chest.

Yes, war was hell but having Y/N by his side made Frank feel better about it all.