milkbath, Suds 2 | Episode 10

{Last time on Suds, Sylus turned out to be a church boy. Am I the only one who is surprised? And this mystery church momma, MaPhelia, happened to touch all of their lives before they even met. Coincidence? I think not. Meanwhile, didn't it seem like Shantel was falling for Sylus. And then, she slipped up and got that far away gaze for Darien again. Come on, Shantel. We were so close.

At heartbreak hotel, Mira was switching things up with new hair, but the change didn't quite reach her heart. That pesky heart wants Sylus. Will her head let it win?}

• late Wednesday •

Tangled in his embrace, LEILAH listened to his heartbeat, searching for her name. Is he the man who loves me? Fear crept into her chest as she glazed her fingers across his skin.
"Can I trust you?" she asked.

His locs splayed across the pillow mingling with her twists. Darien pulled her flesh against his, rubbing his palm up and down her back.
"I love you," he said, kissing her soft. "I love you," he said again, molding his lips into hers. "I love you," he said a third time, shallowing their kiss until only their noses touched. He gazed into the richness of her beauty and smiled.

Her vulnerable eyes stared back. "Don't lie to me, okay?" A lone tear trailed down her cheek. "Please, don't lie to me."

~~

"I promise," DARIEN said, wiping her tear away with his thumb. He kept his eyes trained on her as he gulped down the lump that grew in his throat.

The lie burned in his mind, singeing a picture of her brother on life support. I should tell her. He shook away the thought. I won't lie again. He convinced himself, gripping her skin closer toward his.

Her eyes probed.
Does she already know? He squeezed her tighter. I'm not letting her go. Please don't go.
"I love you," he said again, nuzzling his face into her neck to hide the mounting panic.

"I love you, too," she whispered.
Darien froze. Confusion rained on him as he lay back on their shared pillow, studying her delicate features. He rolled his lips together, fighting conflicting emotions.

Leilah smiled. "Just don't say you knew I would."
He chuckled and pinned her on his bed with his massive frame. "You ain't ever gon get rid of me now."
Leilah grinned. "Good." Her smile faded. "Because I love you."

Darien smiled, letting her love wash his worry away. I'll never lie to you again, he promised.

• Thursday •

TERRANCE stood in front of the library with his study group.

Charmaine snuck up behind him, and pinched his sides. "Hey you."
He jumped away from her touch. "Whoa." Terrance laughed, distancing himself a couple feet. "What up, girl." He rubbed his low fade.

She rocked her weight to one leg and crossed her arms. "You act like you can't call nobody."
He shrugged. "You know how it is."

The sun beamed down, pairing with nerves to pour sweat down his back as he faced his rebound.

Charmaine stepped toward him. "Maybe we can get together tonight or tomorrow night?"
He stepped back. "Nah. I'm good."
She raised a brow. "I know." A sultry smile curved into her dimpled cheeks.
He winced at the blurred copy of Shantel and regret oozed from his pores.