CH.35 Fruit of the dead

Chapter 35

Eden stood across from Tobias and Posey with her heart in her hands. She could hardly believe what they were saying.

"How....how will it work?" Eden asked quietly. She reminded herself to not get too excited. After all Tobias had just said it was a big hunch.

"You will work for me and give up your soul in my name," Tobias said. "You have the gift to see lingering spirits just as I do....so if I were to share my ability with you to bring them back to the underworld, I think you will be able to go back up to the world of the living."

"This will work," Posey said with confidence. "If you take on this responsibility, then you have to be on Earth. There are no lingering spirits in the underworld."

"And since you will be singing your soul to me," Tobias continued. "You will forever be part of the underworld."

"But you won't be required to stay here," Posey's smile widened.

"Give up my soul?" Eden tried to think about what they were suggesting.

"Not like that!" Posey tried to make it clear. "You will still be you."

"But I will forever be part of the underworld,"

"Yes," Tobias nodded. "You will be working for the Underworld, just as Charon and all the others."

"I know it's a lot," Posey took Eden's hands into hers. "Take your time thinking about it."

"I don't need to think about it," Eden shook her head. "I'm ready. Where do I sign?"

"There is another part....." Tobias said quietly.

"What now?" Eden frowned.

"For me to give you your new abilities, I will need to make sure you can properly use it," Tobias explained. "I will have to train you before I can let you out there."

"How long will that take?" Eden looked at Posey.

"From what Tobias's ex fiance says, you are a very fast learner, so not that long," Posey looked over to her husband.

"Persephone," Tobias groaned. "I told you a million times, Gemma is just a friend now. She is married with kids."

"I didn't say anything!" Posey rolled her eyes. "Did I say anything, Eden?"

"No?" Eden shook her head.

"You were implying something," Tobias frowned.

"No," Posey flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Must be a guilty conscience."

"See!" Tobias threw his arms up. "There! You're doing it again."

"You're getting too worked up about this," Posey narrowed her eyes. "We have more important matters at hand."

"Yes," Eden said, collecting their attention back. "Me."

"Yes, yes," Tobias nodded. "It shouldn't take us long. Maybe a week at most in our time."

"Our time?" Eden raised a brow.

"Time in the underworld works differently. To you it feels like maybe only a day or two has passed, but in the world of the living, more time may have gone by."

"How much more time?" Eden asked. Her heart began to throb with the thought of Alec being without her.

"We can never be sure," Posey shrugged.

"Then we need to start now," Eden urged. "Please. I need to go back."

"Okay," Tobias said. "First you will have to give your soul to me."