¹ A Step Closer

"Really?"

     Taehyung questions in great disbelief. The post-school-hours stress seems to have taken its weight off of his shoulders upon hearing the unexpected news from his mother. The overgrown son of the Kim's scampers enthusiastically to the light of the family, who was just enjoying her favorite evening show from the living room sofa.

     Is his dream finally coming true?

     "Are you really really a hundred- no, a million percent sure about this?" Taehyung kneels beside the sofa, resting his hands on the right-edge arm rests.

     Ms. Kim takes a moment to glance at her son. The sight now in front of her immensely depicts of a doe-eyed canine with its tail wagging vigorously in sheer joy.

     The elder breaks into a laugh. This boy surely can't hide his excitement.

     "Yes, you're going to Seoul for college." Ms. Kim repeats her announcement once more to her son before returning her gaze to the television, sipping on the cup of tea in hand.

     With that final confirmation, the once wagging canine is now barking out his joy, in questionable forms of undecipherable mumbles of happiness and ugly crying. Taehyung rushes over to his mother and engulfs her in a loving hug as his expression of gratitude towards his mother's, maybe long and overdued, consideration into his longtime desire.

     "Goodness, you spilled my tea!"

     "You're not taking your word back, alright!"

     Taehyung has lived in Daegu for all of his life. It isn't like a bad thing or anything. The non-city life is actually quite great. Beautiful landscapes. Fresh air. Kind people. Living there has never been hard at all for Kim Taehyung and his family.

     In spite of living in such tranquility, Taehyung has other plans in mind. He desires to venture out. Venture out into the unknown. He knows there is more to the world out there other than what is in his beloved hometown.

     He seeks for more beauty and allure to capture in a click of a shutter. In that moment, Taehyung believes he is able to preserve what the camera frame caught as a memory. A memory in which he can look back to some other time.

     This all stems back to his love for photography. His life long hobby that can date back to pretty much when he was born. Mr. Kim had great influence on the kid.

     Growing up, Taehyung's mother would oftentimes playfully blame her husband for giving their son ideas of leaving the household in pursuit to his dreams.

     "Hey, hey. I didn't say anything 'bout leaving. All I did was spark up the talent in my boy. He's just being ambitious about it." was Mr. Kim's defense, earning a beating from his wife.

     "Spark up– cut the bull. My baby has always been gifted. Pressing a button on a camera is not a problem for him." Ms. Kim crossed her arms with a pout resting on her lips.

     Mr. Kim rested his hands on his wife's shoulders and began, "Honey, just admit that you don't want to see your baby grow up and fly out of your nest someday."

     Blood ran to Ms. Kim's cheeks and moved out of her husband's embrace, flushed.

     "H-Hey. I mean, would you be happy being all alone and not having anyone to take care of anymore?"

     "Want to make another one? You know, to keep you company when Tae may be off someda–" Mr. Kim joked but was interrupted by a hard nudge on his stomach from his wife.