Edge Of Darkness Chapter 5 (Confessions Book 2)

Edge Of Darkness

Chapter 5

That night with Cole's leaving, I felt so alone. Mom and Lucian had disappeared shortly after my little episode with my wings. They had promised that they would return as soon as they could but that they needed to go find out whatever they could. I didn't think sleep was even possible but somehow I drifted off into the land of nightmares. I had, had bad dreams before, I had even had dream encounters with the dead. That is if you counted that one time with my mom, but this nightmare was one that would put everything into perspective for me.

In the dream I was on an alter and Cole was standing above me with the ruby handled dagger that Victoria had used to kill my friends. Over his shoulder I could see the shadow of a figure more darkness than anything. I lay there a million thoughts racing through my mind but unable to speak. The only thing I was capable of was moving my eyes to look at my surroundings. I moved my eyes looking for a way to escape and as I looked I could see something that hadn't been in the drawing I could see walls with chains like in an old dungeon from a horror movie. Bound with those chains were my friends.

I remember thinking in my dream that I wasn't going to die alone and wishing it weren't true. Kristen and Max, Chase and Mary Beth, Stace, Spence, and so many others were bound by those chains and I knew in that moment if I let myself die they would cease to exist, it would be as if they had never been. These weren't just my enemies bound here in this place but my friends. The people I had let die once already. I squeezed my eyes shut knowing what was going to happen and knowing there was nothing I could do about it.

I finally opened my eyes and looked back to the one person I loved a little more than all the others, I looked up into those ice blue eyes and knew it was finally over. The dagger arched downward, towards my heart and in the moment it struck I watched a single tear escape from those wonderful eyes, and then everything was gone even me. After what seemed like an eternity of nothingness the darkness began to part and I saw the world. It was in ruins and there wasn't a human survivor left and walking out of the ruins a figure appeared dressed in black robes and a hood. My first thought was grim reaper.

I know the reaper is more than likely a myth but as I've learned fallen angels are real, demons are real, so hey anything's possible. I sucked in a breath as the hooded head lifted towards me and pointed a finger as if accusing me of some crime. I cringed a little, I never said I was fearless, and this thing was definitely cringe worthy. The cringe was lost somewhere in shock because as it pointed it began to speak and the voice was angelic. It sounded like music.

"You, Caterina Marshall, have here by been condemned for your actions."

The voice was beautiful even if this thing was condemning me. I mean it wasn't like there was any punishment out there that could hurt worse than what already was. I could even face the demons I had once feared and welcome the pain because nothing could hurt less than knowing I had killed the one's I loved once again. I don't know what made me do it and I hope it was only because may be I'm braver in my dreams than in life but I admit I popped my mouth off to this hooded reaper.

"Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah, you think I haven't figured that out already." MY words weren't out of character for the old me but you know redemption and all that should have made me keep my big mouth shut. I was actually starting to regret what I had said when the thing laughed. And the hood fell backwards letting brown blonde curls spring forward before revealing a face that definitely didn't belong to the grim reaper. Hidden by the hood was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. A face that the angels would envy. A face that was smiling and eyes that were shining and never looking like anyone one color.