Edge Of Darkness (Chapter 4

Edge Of Darkness

Confessions Book 2

Chapter 4

Cole was gone not just gone, but gone, he had literally vanished into thin air. That was a Lucian or Victoria trick. It wasn't something people like us did. We couldn't just disappear like that, not even when we made deals with fallen angels. This wasn't right it was a nightmare come to life. My mind couldn't wrap around that let alone why he had pulled his disappearing act. Cole killing me was crazy, it was stupid, it was impossible. I was sitting on my couch unable to comprehend what was really going on. This had to be some kind of trick something to teach me a lesson.

"It isn't a trick, Cat." I had thought Lucian had left when Cole disappeared but apparently he was still here, reading my mind like always. Just freaking great, I really didn't want to talk to him right now, I might end up hurting my mom's fallen angel boyfriend.

"Then just exactly what is it because even people who make deals with the devil can't do what he just did." When I said devil I looked directly at him so he would know that right now I considered him my enemy.

"Listen, Cat, I know this is hard on you but now that he's gone I really need to explain some things to you. This isn't what you think it is and don't even think of letting him back in this house and so you know eventually he will be back Even if he decides not to kill you the angel he made the deal with will take him over and make him do it"

My mouth fell open, Lucien was out of his dammed ever loving mind, if Cole came back there was no way I was throwing him out. Even if he had made some crazy assed deal to kill me, there was no way I could turn him away.

"Cat you can't take him in, you can't change what has been set in motion, the only thing you can do is kill him before he kills you."

"NO and quit reading my mind" I screamed it at him, I wasn't going to kill Cole or anyone else. "If I kill someone I'll go to hell, again, Lucien have you thought about that? Huh, have you? What about my baby? How can I take care of her if I'm a murderer and in prison. You tell me Lucien, you tell me." My outburst was tame considering what I really wanted to say to him, he was actually suggesting I kill Cole, the one person in this world I could count on. There had to be a way to save him without me getting dead.

"Listen to me please, if you don't kill him you die, then there won't be any baby. Cat you're special now." It was like he was trying to convince that it would be okay to murderer Cole.

"No, Lucien, you don't get it. I'm not special, I never have been, Mom might be but not me." I had to make him understand that this whole thing was a mistake. Yes, some of the fallen wanted me dead but as far as I was concerned them and Victoria had nothing to do with this situation, this was another angel all together, especially if he were some how able to give Cole powers beyond what even Lucien could do.

"Cat, dammit listen to me you are special you're the only one who can kill him and save yourself, save your child. You need to grow up and quit being selfish." Lucien eyes were sparking a fury I hadn't ever seen before and it only ignited my own.

"Go back to hell Lucien, I'm not killing Cole and that's that. You can try and help me figure out a way to save him or you can stay in hell and keep the fuck away from me." I was yelling and then suddenly pain exploded in my shoulders a searing pain that felt like my back was being ripped in two. I fell to my knees no longer screaming at Lucien but screaming in pain.

"Breathe Cat, you need to breathe." Lucien was kneeling in the floor next to me.

"Am I dying?" It felt like I was dying.

"No, I was trying to tell you that you were special and this just proves my point."

"What are you talking about?" The question came out as a pain laced pant.

"You're human but yet you have wings." Lucien was staring at me with a somewhat awed look upon his face.

I had completely forgotten about the wings. I had gotten them when I had earned redemption. The thing was I hadn't felt them come out that day and it hadn't hurt, this felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside. If it felt like this I didn't want them.

"Why does it hurt?" I sucked in a deep breathe as another pain speared through my shoulders and then the pain eased and disappeared like it had never been.

"Your human body wasn't designed for wings it has to grow accustomed to them." His voice was excited. How the hell could he be excited when wings or not he was telling me I had to kill Cole.

"I don't want them if it means I have to kill him, I'll give them back." I was crying wings or not they weren't worth Cole.

"I don't know that there's anything we can do to save him Cat, but we'll try and help you save him but if we can't figure out something before he comes for you, we kill him." My mother was standing there with her hand on something soft and black. Leave it to her to try and help me through this.

"I can't kill him mom."

"Yes you can and will if it comes to it but for now lets concentrate on what we know."