Hinata with only 1 Leg AU

Please know this is only a short fic I write after watching the 1st season please don't be mad if I make any mistakes or write really badly. 

He doesn't remember exactly what happened in the accident. He remembers that his father screaming at him to stop and then a bright light. The next thing he remembered spending his 9th birthday at a hospital with indescribable pain. He remembered his mother and father's sad looks as they tried not to cry when the doctor told him news that would change his life forever.

"Hinata you no longer have a left leg." That day Hinata could remember the smell of burnt skin.

Hinata remembers the countless nights he cried no longer knowing it was from the pain or the loss of his limb but, when he saw the small giant. Despite his height he jumped higher than the skies, like a bird he flew. Hinata knew, he just knew he could be like that too. He knew that deep down, the volleyball was his calling. Thus as both of his parents worked, Hinata studied, he built up his strength despite only having one leg, he trained and watched over his younger sister, only 2 years old. He could change diapers, read books to his sister, play with her and cook decent meals for his family. Hinata though homeschooled tried the best he could knowing how much strain he put on his family. He never bothered his parents, but his parents were bothered at how quiet he'd become. Hinata still ran around using his crutches, cane and makeshift prosthetic but it wasn't the same.

So when he told his parents he wanted a prosthetic to play volleyball. They cried tears of joy, revealing they had already started saving for one. Hinata remembered the smell of a rainstorm that never came that day.

HInata remembers at 12 years old, after 2 years of saving up and hard work he was stumbling after his sister through the halls of his house with two legs. Hinata worked his butt off, teaching himself to walk, then run, then jump. Natsu helped him as she herself played Hinata catch and tag building her brother's endurance all the more. It was also the year Hinata stopped being homeschooled and started to attend junior high. Though he made friends and trained regularly only the school nurse knew about his prosthetic. Those three years his grades dropped a bit but he continued to care for his sister and train. He didn't care that he had to join the girl's team and train with them, he didn't care that he had to bother his friends to throw sets at him so he could practice his spikes. Because Hinata felt like he could finally fly, he felt like he had wings. The smell of metal and sweat remained throughout those years and Hinata didn't want it any other way.

The day he had his first volleyball match. Hinata's fear, and nervousness upset his stomach, he ran and stumbled to the bathroom making sure he had his cream to apply onto his leg in his pocket. He needed to be prepared if he was going all out in this match. He was going to finally play for real, after years of using the wall as his partner and begging for serves he finally got a chance to play. At first the game was slow as his team didn't really know what it was doing but then, Hinata saw his chance, a serve that was finally given. His metal leg didn't feel like it was metal anymore. He felt weightless as he soared in the air... almost like a bird. I stared at my hand, I hit it but I wasn't high enough. 'I'll get the next one. I'll need to jump higher.' In that instant through all the sweat and hard training Hinata forgot about his leg for once. All he could think about was beating his rival, Tobio. He kept spiking and spiking, he saw a ball go astray and without a second thought he slid for it. No matter what I will hit the ball. His teammates seemed to start and take the match more seriously taking any hit they could. Yet, it wasn't enough they were losing another set. Hinata felt pain shooting up his legs and palms but he could care less, he hasn't lost yet. He refused to give up just like that.

The game went on and though there were some close calls Hinata and his teammates tried to receive and hit every ball. That was when Izumi was about to set the ball. A strange force pulled Hinata to run left, his metal leg banging on the floor, he ran and jumped. Hinata felt like he had sprouted wings, that for once in his life he wasn't just a disabled kid. He was a little giant. With a smack Hinata hit the ball with all of his force and around Kagemiya. He then turned his body so instead of falling on his side he fell on his bum sliding into the flags around the court.

Hinata grit his teeth as he felt a pain flare up his bad leg. His heart almost stopped when he saw the referee. It was an out. The game was over and they hadn't won a single set.

"What have you been wasting your time on for 3 years?" Kagemya shouted at him.

'What did you just say/ You don't know a damn thing Shoyo has been doing"

"Shogi calm down we can't pick a fight in the middle of the court."

HInata balled up my fists, he wanted to yell at him, he wanted to scream with all the pain he was in. But he couldn't because he vowed then and there, 'I will become stronger because only winners can yell at a king like that no matter who they are. Even if I'm short or have a prosthetic I will be on the court.'

That day smelled like salty tears and the creme he applied, before going out to eat with his friends.

Hinata trained, he played with the girls team, and ran every morning before his sister had to wake up for daycare. He learned to jump higher with his prosthetic and studied with any possible free time he could muster. So then, his first day of high school at Karasuno High, he ran to school early more as he could finally practice on a boys volleyball team. He was going to practice like crazy and beat the king of the court... then they made the VP's toupee fall off.

Kageyama and him ended up getting closer as they trained together. He met Tsukishima and Yamaguchi which was a happy annoyance, though Tsukishima is a jerk he is a great volleyball player and means well. Plus our senpai's are awesome. He did his best hiding his leg under long pants and Nishinoya is so awesome as well it's hard to follow his instructions sometimes. The rolling thunder was almost impossible to do in his prosthetic, he felt his heart racing a couple of times when he did it and if he was digging the ball he made sure to be as careful as he could with his prosthetic he was lucky it was made of stainless steel and his pants are so thick. He dodged questions as to why he wore long pants and created an exe to adjust his prosthetic when he needed to. His nervous stomach came in real handy for once.

Asashi was someone Hinata took great pride in practicing with as he wanted to be an ace just like him. Practice after practice Hinata ran, played and pretended to act like he wasn't in pain at all or that his left leg wasn't there and he was running on a hunk of metal. After practice was over he'd come home and play with his sister, and cook dinner his parents tired from work. On weekends the laundry is also his responsibility. He was lucky that his mother could do half her work from home on her laptop. Hinata would also make breakfast and bentos for his family as he was the earliest riser though he was tired in most of his classes he pulled through with B's and the occasional A.He needed to get good grades or else when he went to college so he could get a good job.

"Hey why do you always wear long pants all the time?" Asked Suga one day while changing into his uniform. Hinata was grabbing his pants to change in the bathroom. Usually he'd be the first to have changed but he forgot his sports leg sleeve in his locker. Hinata tensed a bit as Tanaka also asked, "Yeah aren't you hot in those?" Soon enough Nishinoya had asked, "How come you aren't changing with us either?" Hinata felt panic rise up his throat, what was he supposed to say. Everyone was staring at him now.

"Probably too shy to show off his little muscles." Tsukishima jokes. "N-no! I'm not!" Yelled Hinata trying to calm himself down. 'Okay then change then." Kageyama said, staring at Hinata suspiciously. 'I-I don't want to!' Hinata yelled trying to calm himself. He was doing so well at hiding, he needed to think of something.

"I have an embarrassing scar I don't like showing people." Hinata lied. He silently said sorry for lying to his team. "Aw, come on it can't be that bad? You should be proud of your scars!" Nishinoya said, trying to make his underclassman feel better. He crept closer as if he was going to pull down his pants. "No! I refuse!" Hinata yelled, he didn't want them to see his prosthetic, he didn't want to be kicked off the team. He grabbed his clothes and dashed out of the locker room to the bathrooms. The team looked in shock as the young boy ran as if he was on fire out of the room. Later during practice, nobody said anything about his leg and HInata was grateful for it.

It smelled like rain to Hinata that day.