T E N: Mistakes

Miss Foster had been acting strange, happier.

Normally I would have been glad she was happy, but it was out of nowhere. I had my concerns. Even though I know she asked me not to, I sent Livvy to trail her on her morning hike that morning.

It had been half an hour already and I was running out of things to distract myself with. I had organized my files multiple times, but with no avail. I was worried something had happened.

My fears melted away as I heard the loud creak of the trapdoor.

Livvy.

I jumped up, then sat back, trying to not be eager. I heard whispers and shuffling near my door. The door handle twisted downward and Livvy stepped into my office, with Sophie in tow. Livvy avoided my questioning gaze and I noticed the tears on Sophie's face.

I stood up and looked Livvy in her eyes, "What happened?"

Sophie interrupted her, "Stop Livvy, it should come from me"

I nodded and Livvy left the room, whispering a quick apology to Sophie on her way out. I noticed Sophie ignored her and closed the door behind her. I sat down and gestured to the chair in front of me. Sophie straightened out her tunic and sat down.

I repeated my question, "What happened?"

She looked up, her eyes full of anger and pain. But mostly I could see regret. "I lied, okay?"

I was confused, "About what?"

She sucked in a breath and became very interested in the folder in front of her. "About two weeks ago, I went to see everyone. I know it was a mistake, I just......."

I gave her a moment to think while I digested what she told me. If she visited them, they knew already. Did the Council know? I felt my voice turn cold and harsh, even though I knew it would hurt Sophie. "I need you to tell me everything"

She nodded and miserably said, "I told them, of course. The council knows too. And.."

I could see her struggling. She was trying to hide something from me. I rose up, staring down at her coldly, "And what?

She whispered something, barely louder than silence. I raised an eyebrow and she looked away, "I went to one training session with Fintan"

In that moment nothing could have kept me calm. Sophie looked away as I undid all the organization I did before. Folders laid in tatters on the floor, papers beside them like ashes. I ran my hands through my hair and tried to take a deep breath.

"I'm sorry" Sophie said.

I wish I could have changed what I said in that moment, but it was too late. "You're sorry? That's all you have to say. You might have just ruined the BLACK SWAN, MAYBE EVEN THE LOST CITIES!!"

She flinched, "I know"

I sighed and sat back down in my chair, delirious with her apologies. "I'll make the preparations, just be ready to leave at twilight"

Her face twisted in confusion, "What?"

I looked up and laughed harshly, "Well we can't stay here. I'm taking you somewhere the Neverseen will never find you"

She was shocked, "Where? And what about my friends?"

I avoided her gaze, it would be too hard to say to her face. "The Black Swan forbids you to see them ever again. We're taking you back to the Forbidden Cities"

Even I was surprised at my own announcement. But the decision was clear and direct, it was the only thing we could do.

But Sophie wouldn't let go, "Never! You do not have the right to forbid me to do ANYTHING!"

I gritted my teeth, "Yes we do Miss Foster, we created you. It doesn't matter that this ability wasn't planned, you have it now. And this is what we have to do"

Her tears stopped and she looked at me in a way I had only seen in the eyes of the Neverseen. "Fintan was right, all you want to do is control me"

"You're taking advice from a lunatic and a killer!" I yelled.

She cocked her head, "Funny, the Council could say the same about you"

I raised my eyes to hers, so we were playing this game. "The only reason they think that is you. Now I expect you to be ready and packed within the hour"

She smiled with anger flashing on her teeth, "And if I refuse to go?"

It hurt me to say it, but I knew what we would do. "Miss Foster, do not underestimate us. You may have powerful abilities, but you are untrained and easy to manipulate. You will be leaving within the hour, no matter what we have to do to make it happen"

She was stunned for a moment before opening the door and slamming it behind her. I sighed and leaned my head against my desk. I just wanted her to understand. We never should have let her have friends and family in the first place, it made her job too complicated.

But what if she didn't? At least not for a while?

My mental voice brought back memories of the discoveries did the mind I made back when we were still creating Sophie. If I could just take her memories of them, I could lock them away until it was safe for her again.

It might work. But she'll hate me for it.

And yet, my job was to make sure the Black Swan had a Moonlark. I didn't care if she hated me, just as long as she became what she was meant to be.

"Livvy!" I called out.

Just like I had guessed, Livvy was standing guiltily in the doorway. She walked in, "Mr. Forkle-"

I stopped her, "Livvy, you know I always appreciate your thoughts but we simply don't have the time. I need you to make an elixir for me"

Her brows furrowed "What kind of elixir?"

I sighed and rubbed my eyes harshly, "The kind to lock away memories Livvy"

She nodded, but I could see her wanting to say it was wrong. I didn't have the time for wrong or right. "Livvy, I'll need it to be ready by tonight"

Her face hardened, "I understand, I'll have it"

I might live an eternity to regret it, but I had to do what I knew would fix it the Moonlark.