Book 1: Secrets Are Deadly | Chapter 45

Besides finding out that Nick was actually Dad's son, Ben's dad had decided to have my dad followed. Of course, he couldn't do that himself since Dad would end up recognizing him so Mr. Morgan had a friend of his, that Dad didn't know and who was also a private investigator, follow Dad around to see if Mr. Morgan could find out any more information that way. And what that friend ended up finding out was that Dad had a safe in his home office. It was behind one of the three paintings that Dad had hung up in his office.

I had never thought to look behind any of those paintings to see if there was anything behind them that would give us proof. There was also the fact that I had kind of given up on finding anything else in Dad's home office because I had other things on my mind.

And I also couldn't really go back and search Dad's office now that I wasn't allowed to go home without someone escorting me. It wasn't just Hayden's rule, but it was also Mom's rule. So even if I wanted to go back there and search Dad's office, I couldn't without telling Hayden or Mom because I'm pretty sure they would find out some way and then I would be in trouble, which could mean that I wouldn't be allowed to see Ben. And I didn't want to get grounded and now be able to see my boyfriend, but I also didn't want to just go back into Dad's office and not have a game plan.

There was also a chance that Dad was home more often now that none of us were there so I would probably run into him if I went there and I was trying to avoid Dad at the moment. But since I had given up on trying think of where else to search in Dad's office, I just left it up to Ben's father to find something because he would probably have a lot more luck than I did since it was his job to search for things.

"How are we supposed to get into the safe?" Ben asked his dad.

"I'm not sure about that. I thought I'd leave that up to Callie because I figured she could come up with a couple codes that her father might have used," Mr. Morgan replied looking over at me. I nodded my head and then said, "Yeah I think I could do that."

"Good. I'll distract your father and keep him busy as long as I can," Mr. Morgan said. We figured a day to do that just as everyone started arriving. It would only be a couple days from now when Ben and I would be going back to my house and searching my father's safe to look for some more proof. I didn't have any doubt that we wouldn't find anything.

There was something in there that proved Nick was Dad's son. I believed that because it seemed like as Mr. Morgan was explaining everything that he had found out, including the safe, to my mom, that she had no idea that Dad had a safe in our home so it would be a good hiding place for Dad and his secrets.

After Mr. Morgan had told everyone what he had found, I thought it was a good time to explain about the fire. I first talked to Ben and Ryan about it when Mrs. Morgan went off to the kitchen to get everyone some snacks and drinks and everyone else took a little break before we continued on with this little meeting we were having. There must have been other things the adults wanted to talk about since no one was allowed to leave yet. I wasn't sure what else there was to talk about, but maybe everyone wanted to discuss the new information we all had received a little more and figure out what to do about it.

But once we all came back to sit down in the Morgan's living room after I had told Ben and Ryan that I was going to confess about the fire, that's exactly what I did. Our parents got mad, which was expected of them, but they didn't ground us. Thankfully. They just told us we should have been more careful and asked one of them for help.

Ben's father said he could have gone through my dad's office himself since he would know to check for things like cameras and other things that you needed to do to not get caught, which is the whole reason how Dad knew we were there and why he sent Ron Hampton to scare us away.