Book 2: Secrets Are Perfect | Chapter 4

It turns out that I had to repeat what happened that day a couple more times, mostly to the police, but to other family members who came by to visit and some of my friends that I was close enough to that I was okay with telling them about what had happened. Anyone else had to speculate what happened to my family. Everyone knew my mom was dead and my dad was a suspect since it was all over the news, but they didn't have all the details and they probably wouldn't until the case was close.

Not only were the local news channels covering what happened to my family and constantly trying to figure out what had happened or stating what they thought had happened, but everyone in town was coming up with their own theories on what they thought had happened. Kate and Ben were the ones who kept me update on that. I wasn't sure if my brothers knew what was going on though.

They probably hadn't turned on the television since I had gone missing and they probably didn't want to. Everybody was going to have their own opinions on what my father did and why he did it. Some of them were probably going to be outrageous and nowhere near the truth. It was going to keep people gossiping for months, trying to figure out what happened in that house and in that basement.

So, they didn't want to hear what everyone else thought had happened because it was just going to make everything harder. Some of those theories were probably just going to be hurtful, not just outrageous. My brothers seemed more focused on making sure that I was alright anyways, then what was going on in the outside world.

Not to mention when I finally stepped outside, there would be people staring at me, waiting for me to break down or whatever they thought I was going to do. I'm sure that there were people outside right now, waiting for me to get released from the hospital. And I'm sure some of those people included the media, who wanted to talk to me and hopefully be the first to get an exclusive on the story that was my version about what had happened. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone about what happened though, except for my family of course.

That was okay with me though because I didn't feel comfortable talking about it that much anyways. Especially with people I didn't know very well. I wanted to stop thinking about it for the moment because that was all anyone seemed to want to talk about, even the nurses who were taking care of me. Although they didn't ask me anything because I'm sure they didn't want to lose their jobs, but I knew they were talking about it.

The police didn't want me to talk about what happened to anyone, including the media, and end up telling them something that they didn't want the public knowing about that could hurt the case as well as potentially help them find my father, who was making it hard to find him ever since that day had happened. And since I didn't want to say anything about the subject of what happened that day, I was glad that I didn't have to talk about it with anyone else.

I wanted my father to pay for what he has done, no matter how hard he was making it to find him. It could take weeks, months, or even years to find my father, but as long as he paid for what he did then it didn't matter how long. Although it would be nice if he was in jail right now.

Same went for my father's friend, Ron Hampton. It seemed like they both had disappeared and were doing their best not to be found. If Dad had any plans to try and make himself look innocent, then that was all out the door now. Maybe he had been keeping an eye on the news to see what the reaction was and decided that since everyone had already decided that he was guilty, he felt like it wasn't worth it.

To come back and try to prove that he was innocent since he probably figured he would end up getting arrested. You kind of make yourself look guilty when you don't show up at your burning house and show concern that your wife and daughter could be burning to death in it. I think that made everyone think he was guilty.