Chapter 4

Orlando, Florida

1952

Enter: Robert Jude Travineress

Photo: Evan Peters as Tate ;)

Part One

"Jackson, do you know why they're all looking at us?" I asked as we walked into the building. People whispered and pointed. Nathaniel offered us no greeting.

My jacket was hooked onto my locker's dial, and there was a pink piece of paper in the pocket. I opened up it up, and in neat, curly cursive it read:

Robert

I thought you liked me? Were you leading me on? We saw you guys kissing, and I was utterly confused.

But I was going to talk about it to you in person. My friend had to go slander both of your names. Such a shame, I thought you two were good boys.

Don't bother meeting us at the woods, we don't want to go there. You guys can have that place. We'll find somewhere else to go.

In the meantime, think about seeing someone to get help. Then maybe we could be together. I like you, Robert. I want to see you rid of this disease.

Marilyn.

I groaned.

They saw us. What if Nathaniel saw?

At least Marilyn didn't say anything bad; she didn't seem mad. Just dissapointed.

I left the school and went to the only place I knew nobody would be.

The woods.

I needed to collect my thoughts.

Either they saw us leaving or when they first arrived. Probably when they arrived.

But if they saw us when they arrived, then why would they even talk to us?

My head hurt. My stomach was sick. I laid on the grass and fell asleep.

Part Two

I woke up in the sea of green grass, the sun glaring down at me.

I took a deep breath and sat up, stretching my arms and back. Why was I here in the first place? Memories, unpleasant memories, came flooding back. Suddenly, I felt lightheaded and dizzy, like all of the blood in my body was rushing to my head.

I stood up slowly and shakily, making my exit in the same fashion. Once I was mainly composed, I checked the time on my watch. It was 12:46 pm, which meant lunch was almost over.

I walked out of the woods and to the library, which was almost twenty minutes away. I sat at a chair and paged through a book of psychiatry. I could run away, change my name, and never be seen again. But what about Jackson? He had to wait three or four months until he was eighteen.

I thought of potential names I could use. Could I be Jude Bobby Travis? No, that's too simple. If anyone I knew saw me and asked my name, they'd know it's me.

Alex Borrey? I could put on an English accent and move to Georgia or South Carolina, anywhere I could walk to. It'd probably take a few weeks, months maybe. Georgia is an eight-hour drive.

I could just move to Miami or Destin.

I could take Jackson, too.

I could use my savings of about seven hundred to get a used car, maybe something newer, maybe a Toyota SA or SD.

I got up, the time being 1:56, and walked. I smoked and walked. Did I know where I was going? No. Did I care? No.

I found myself arriving at the school. But I walked about 30 yards away, sat on the curb, and waited. I knew I'd probably get beaten up or spat on, but I had to wait for Jackson. It was quiet, all too quiet, until the bell screamed, and waves of teenagers left school, cigarettes dangling from lips and hands twisted together.

If only Jackson was a girl. Or if I were. We would be just like them.

And then I saw a skinny boy with dark hair being dragged behind the school. I knew at once it was Jackson, he was wearing my shirt, which went past his hips. I got up and sprinted over.

I dead-legged the two blonde boys dragging Jackson, and punched the remaining boy in the jaw. They dropped Jackson. "Go, Jackson," I said, venom piercing my words. He ran away after squeezing my shoulder.

The two boys on the ground grabbed my ankles while the guy I punched in the jaw approached me. "So, Robert," he hissed, "You want to protect your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend."

Lies. Lies. I was going to get beaten anyway, so why was I lying? They knew the truth.

"You don't have to lie, you queer," the leader hissed. "I take it you're the man? Jackson was always a scrawny thing. I thought he was a girl in freshmen year."

I laughed with no humour.

He punched my mouth and I tasted blood. But then he kissed me.

"But I'm just like you two," he whispered. "I thought we were the only ones."

"Then why did you punch me? Why did you drag Jackson out here?" I asked, very confused.

"You punched me, it's only fair. We were just gonna tell Jackson, but he wouldn't willingly come with us."

"What's your name? Why did you kiss me?"

"All you blondes are stupid. I kissed you because I wanted to. I'm Justin, to answer your first question. The one on your left is Nicolas, and the one on your right is Tate. They're twins."

Nicolas had bright green eyes and dark eyebrows. His skin was tan.

Tate was pasty with dark eyes. His eyebrows were light but his roots were a darker color than the rest of his hair.

"Well... I'm going to go. "

I walked away and went to the only person I knew would want to see me.

Jackson.

He was in the woods, as I expected. He looked like he'd been crying.

"I hate this. I hate it so much," he sobbed into his hands.

"I know. I know. " I tried to hold him, but he pushed me away.

"I'm scared, Robert. What happens now?" he whispered, tears flowing down his cheeks. His large eyes, those big bluish-green ones, showed vulnerability. He wasn't scared. He was terrified.

And I was a masochist. I loved the sin, I loved the fear. Disgusting, disgusting.

I got up, dusted my jeans off, and turned on my heel. I didn't want to look at him anymore. I didn't even care. I just walked away.

I wasn't even sorry.