Preface

• Dedicated to Olivia

Orlando, Florida

1951

Enter: Robert Jude Travineress

Finally.

I was finally seventeen. I heaved myself out of my bed and put on my outfit for today: a white shirt and some blue jeans. Tonight I was going to go out to Jackson's house, and we were gonna have cool time. We were gonna watch a flick at the theatre with some Dollies and smoke some cigarettes. We planned to go in Jackson's flip-top. 

It was 9 o' clock in the moring, so I made my way down the hall and into the kitchen. "Happy birthday, Robert! My boy's finally a man, I could just go ape!" My mother joked around, setting a small cake in front of me. "Thank you, mother," I said with a smile. "Jackson Hunt and I are going to the theatre tonight. A drive-in, I suppose." 

Time: 5 o' Clock PM

Jackson pulled up and I left with a, "Good-bye!" The air was warm as the sun began to set. I hopped into the passenger of his red convertible. 

"Happy birthday, Big-Daddy," he joked. "Yeah, that was surely some flattery," I joked right back. We laughed as he drove the car down to the drive-in. 

"Well, are we gonna go pick up the girls?" I asked, as the sun was almost gone. "Alyssa and Rylane are going to meet us there," he replied as he drove down the back road. His green eyes glittered like gemstones in the dim lighting, a great contrast to his short, brown hair that didn't have any shine to them. 

"C- Can I try something?" I asked as we passed a small farmhouse that looked to be a mile in the distance. "Sure, why not?" Jackson shrugged, pulling into the side of the road, the grasses concealing his license plate and the lighting dim enough to conceal our faces. I leaned into him and placed a kiss on his lips.

Jackson, looked at me, confused. 

"I-I'm sorry," I muttered.

"It's okay," he purred, "bring me to the backseat."