Chapter 15

Vanessa nudges Perry with her foot. "Wake up, sleepyhead."

Perry makes a small, annoyed noise and shifts a little, but he doesn't wake up.

"Hey, Perry." She nudges him again.

Perry doesn't even move.

"What do you know? He really was tired," Phineas remarks. "Well, that was fun, but I think Perry's right. It's getting late."

"I can't believe the sun's about to go down, and Mom hasn't come out to check on you once," Candace mutters. "You are so lucky they took that thing with you, or you would have been so busted."

"Thanks for the transistor, Vanessa and Mr. Doofenshmirtz," Phineas says. "We couldn't have done this without you."

"No problem," Vanessa says.

"And it's Dr. Doofenshmirtz," he adds.

"You're not a doctor for buying a 15 dollar certificate online, Dad," Vanessa says, rolling her eyes. "We're gonna head home now. Bye, Ferb."

Ferb waves.

Vanessa crouches next to the platypus. "Perry, you gonna wake up so I can say goodbye?"

Perry doesn't move.

"I got him," Phineas says. He scoops Perry up in his arms, and the platypus makes a content noise. "Hey, buddy, wake up."

Perry slowly opens his eyes, awkwardly squinting and not really awake.

"You missed all the fun," Phineas says. "Sam and Dean already went home."

Perry closes his eyes again.

"Vanessa, hurry up!" Doofenshmirtz whines.

That wakes Perry up immediately, and he jumps out of Phineas's arms. He looks around, but after a moment, he seems to remember what's happening and why Doofenshmirtz is here because he calms down.

"Hey, Perry," Vanessa says. "Don't be a stranger. See you tomorrow?"

Perry just chatters.

"I will take that as a yes," Vanessa says.

Vanessa and Doofenshmirtz head out, and Phineas, Ferb, and Candace all head inside. Phineas looks back before closing the door, and he just barely catches Perry's tail disappearing through the gate as he's walking out of the yard.

"Should we go follow him?" Phineas asks.

Ferb just shrugs.

"Alright, we can wait," Phineas says. "I have to admit, today might have been the weirdest day of summer yet."

"Every day is the weirdest day of summer for you," Candace remarks.

"I guess you're right," Phineas says. "We did steal a mummy once."

"I defeated a robotic Minotaur," Candace says. "That's the weirdest one for me."

"How about you, Ferb?" Phineas asks.

"I think every day is a new weird, and it would be pointless to compare."

Phineas nods. "I couldn't have said it better myself."

~~

Perry follows the Doofenshmirtzes to their car, but no one seems to notice him until he stands up, puts his hat back on, and chatters.

"Oh, hey, Perry," Vanessa says. "What's up?"

Perry points to the car.

"What?" Doofenshmirtz asks. "Do you need a ride? I don't get it."