Chapter 9

After what has to be at least half an hour of digging through blueprints, all the names start to blur together. There comes a point where Perry isn't even sure the blueprints he's skimming through aren't the ones he's looking for. He almost doesn't notice that he's looking at the "Dimensional-portal-inator" blueprints until he's about to toss it away. Fortunately, he catches himself just in time.

Perry grabs the blueprint and runs up to Doofenshmirtz. He shoves it in the scientist's face to get his attention.

"What's this?" Doofenshmirtz takes the blueprint and looks it over. "Oh, no, Perry the Platypus, this is a dimensional-portal-inator, not the interdimensional-portal-inator. Totally different things."

Perry stares at him blankly.

"Well, you see," Doofenshmirtz says, "the interdimensional-portal-inator lets you portal between dimensions. The dimension-portal-inator lets you portal to other places in your dimension."

Perry stares at him.

"It's kind of like teleportation, but with portals," Doofenshmirtz adds.

Perry continues staring at him for another few moments, then takes the blueprint back from Doofenshmirtz and throws it out of the blueprint closet.

"You better clean that up before you leave," Doofenshmirtz says. "I'm your nemesis, Perry the Platypus, not your maid."

Perry rolls his eyes and heads back to his box of blueprints. This is going to take a long time.

It's a few minutes later when Vanessa comes home, announcing herself with a loud, "Dad?"

"Oh, Vanessa!" Doofenshmirtz says with a grin, running out of the closet to see her.

"Dad? What are you doing in there?" she asks, confused.

"Perry the Platypus and I are looking for my interdimensional-portal-inator," Doofenshmirtz says.

"Perry's here?"

Perry pokes his head out of the closet and waves.

"Oh, hi, Perry," she says, before it really seems to register with her. She looks back at her father and asks, "Why is Perry still here? Hasn't he usually thwarted you by now? And why is he helping you?" She gasps. "You turned him evil again, didn't you!"

Perry shakes his head. Doofenshmirtz never tries the same scheme twice. Turning Perry into his evil servant failed once, so he's safe from that now.

"No, not this time," Doofenshmirtz says. "We're trying to send some people back to the dimension they came from so they don't take over the tri-state area before I get the chance to."

Perry shoots him a glare. That is not what's happening.

"Well, good luck with that," Vanessa says.

Perry goes back to searching through blueprints, and, not long after, Doofenshmirtz joins him, and it's like Vanessa never showed up.

~~

It has to be an hour later, and Perry is exhausted. Usually, by now, he'd be sleeping in his little platypus bed by the kitchen table. He's never stayed at Doofenshmirtz's house for this long before, and he's not sure how much longer he can do this.

Vanessa pokes her head in. "You're still at this?"

Perry chatters quietly.

Doofenshmirtz shrugs. "I have a lot of blueprints."

"Why don't you just get a new one?" Vanessa asks.

"They don't sell the interdimensional-portal-inator blueprints anymore," Doofenshmirtz says. "That's why I had to get it a few months ago."