Chapter Thirty Three

...I don't really have much to say for the intro.

Crowd: IS THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE HORRIBLY UNCREATIVE AND BORING AND UNINTELLIGENT?

Me: Um, no.

Crowd: It's all true, though, isn't it?

Me: I shall neither confirm nor deny that.

Oh! 2.5 K reads! Thank you all! :)

That's it, enjoy!

Not again, was the only thing Sophie could think.

Her second thought was that this shouldn't have happened until the next day, according to Blur and Axel- who were telling the truth, as determined by Stina. What would have made the Neverseen change their minds?

Probably the fact that she'd be here.

But they'd been preparing for six days, almost as good as a week. That last day didn't really make much of a difference. They were as prepared as they would ever be.

She just hoped that their best was good enough.

Sophie's eyes flitted back to the army of humans. Already, the goblins had started counterattacking. She was sure that the goblins were more powerful than the humans- the only problem was that they were outnumbered. She knew that she should help, after all, she was the moonlark... but it really didn't feel right.

The humans didn't do anything wrong. They were under the control of the Neverseen, it wasn't their fault. To the goblins and to the other elves, humans weren't really important- there were so many of them, and they did more harm than good anyway- but she had lived with humans for twelve years. She had grown up around humans- grown up believing that she was a human. There was no way she could kill one of them.

Except they were all trying to kill her.

This was a pretty serious ethical dilemma.

Sophie decided to focus on the other elves instead. There were less of them, which made her job easier, and they actually deserved whatever she did to them. Sophie scanned the area until she found the nearest person with a Neverseen cloak. Not really caring who they were, she mustered up all of her emotion from the past day- there was a lot- and inflicted it.

This time, she was brought out of her concentration by the sound of a gunshot, scarily close to her.

Sophie shrieked, diving out of the way just in time.

That was a bullet.

A bullet.

She had almost been shot.

Tears filled her eyes, tears of panic and stress and relief and fear and all of the emotion of the last few hours catching up with her yet again and overwhelming her. She blinked them away. Now was not the time to start crying.

But- the tears rose to the surface again when she caught sight of a familiar head of Hair.

"Keefe." Sophie meant to yell it, but it couldn't come out as more than a whisper. She ran toward him. "Keefe!" It was louder that time.

He turned around to face her, and seeing his face again nearly made her heart explode. She saw him mouth her name before running towards her.

There was a battle raging around them, but they didn't care as they closed the last few inches between them. She nearly jumped into his arms, and he picked her up and spun her around, and even before Sophie could actually register it, they were kissing.