Chapter 22: Checkmate

A/N: Hey, it's time for another chapter! Gosh, guys, we're really close to the end >.< Warning: cliffhanger ahead! You have been warned X{ Enjoy, and thanks so much for reading!

Chapter 22: Checkmate

    Ah, my old apartment.

   What terrible memories that this place brought back... memories I didn't want nor need at this time. Trying to move past that, I momentarily focused on Dru. She was calm now that we were on the empty street; she wasn't as tense as before, at least. I had no idea why, but I couldn't get over the foreboding sense that something could go wrong.

    Of course...

    After all, Tom had given us a location in our search, but was he right? Was there a possible trick to retrieving the spell book back? And why was it at my apartment in the first place?

    "Something on your mind?"

    I met the hybrid's bright blue eyes. She had a frown on her face, but those eyes were alive with curiosity. I shrugged my shoulders. "Yeah." I left it at that, and Dru - thankfully - never pried for more. We fell silent when we'd finally reached the complex, quiet and dark. Strange. This early at night, there should've been at least one or two occupants who were still awake.

   Huh.

    Dru visibly stiffened at my side, and I followed her lead. "What's w-"

    "Shh!" she hissed, eyeing me sharply. "Can you smell that? A lycanthrope and... "

    "And what?" I asked, impatience leaking into my voice. Dru didn't respond, but her stiff body told me practically everything.

    Vampire...

    Shit.

    Dru grabbed my hand suddenly. "I'm only here with your friends because of Jer. If he-"

    "Don't worry," I pressed. "He's helping us. I told you that."

    "Helping?" She led me through the glass door and into the cramped reception area.

    I nodded. "It's because Henri is his sire. That's why he's here helping." I paused. "Plus, he really cares about you." Taking a key from behind the front desk, I nearly fell in the dark.

    "Uh, Toni? You probably won't need that," Dru pointed out as she looked at the object in my hand. "You're a vampire. A spare room key isn't going to cut it."

    She had a point. Typical.

    Letting out a little sigh, I dropped the object onto the wood. The apartment complex was so eerily quiet, it sent my senses prickling in anticipation. Dru had sensed a were and another vampire... who could it be? Gavin? My sister?

    No...

    Soon, we were on the second floor; my floor. The doors on either side were shut. Even Ethan's seemed abandoned.

    Even stranger...

    I squeezed Dru's hand. "I don't like this." Not at all. The hybrid seemed to agree. "It's too quiet."

    "You think?"

    We'd finally reached my door, closed as the rest of them were. Something had changed, though. The door wasn't open - unlocked maybe - but power still oozed out from beneath the wooden obstacle before our eyes. Power...