~Chapter 1: The Assignment~

Hercules didn't want to do this. It was stupid and childish, but to be able to pass World Culture he would have to.

Their assignment was to have a Pen Pal, each person got a different country. Hercules in particular got France. He would admit he did want to learn more about France, it intrigued him. He had heard the fashion there was absolutely amazing and beautiful. The whole country was supposedly beautiful, but he did not want to talk to some random person. He wasn't big on talking to people. He had three close friends: Alexander Hamilton, John Laurens, and James Madison, which was his cousin. He didn't need anymore.

Or so he thought.

Hercules really needed better people skills, he never knew what to say, or what to talk about to other people. Alex and John were very outgoing, Alex always got in fights, but hey. Who could really blame him? Thomas was a real bitch sometimes.

"Okay Mr. Mulligan. You have Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette." Mr. Reynolds told Hercules. Hercules sat there with a shocked face, writing down the name as fast as he could. "He goes by Lafayette." The teacher added, making Hercules sigh in relief.

Hercules sat there for a moment, trying to think of what to right. He would be talking to this person for a whole year so he should ask questions to get to know him.

Dear Lafayette,
  My name is Hercules Mulligan, and I assume you already know we are pen pals, I won't say much about myself since you can just ask questions along the way. Here are some things I want to know about you and your country:
1. What's your favorite color?
2. What's your home life like? You don't have to answer this if it's too personal
3. What are the people like in France? Like any weird gestures or greetings?
4. Do you have any pets?
And 5. Do you like art?

Hercules read over this letter multiple times before deciding it was good enough. He stood up, fixing his gray beanie and went up to Mr. Reynolds, handing the paper to him. Alex was across the room, literally writing like twenty pages. Hercules chuckled and sat down.

Now all he'd have to do is wait a week..