Part 15

Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks. There was a flurry of rumors about her disappearance when the rest of the school returned from their Christmas holidays, because everyone thought that she had been attacked.

Harry, Anne, and Ron visited her every evening. When classes resumed, they brought her each day's homework.

By the beginning of February Hermione was nearly back to her old self. Both she and Anne were going over each other's assignments when Harry and Ron came in to show them a small black diary they had recovered from Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Stamped on the cover was a name Tom Marvolo Riddle in gold. The odd thing was it was completely blank. 

"I wish I knew why someone tried to chuck it," said Harry. "I wouldn't mind knowing how Riddle got an award for Special Services to Hogwarts either."

"An award for Special Services?" Anne examined the diary closely. "This diary is fifty years old which means--"

"That's it!" Hermione exclaimed suddenly. "I just got a brilliant idea! We know the person who opened the Chamber last time was expelled fifty years ago. We know Tom Marvolo Riddle got an award for Special Services to the school fifty years ago. Well, what if Riddle got his special award for catching the Heir of Slytherin? His diary would probably tell us everything --- where the Chamber is, and how to open it, and what sort of creature lives in it --- the person who's behind the attacks this time wouldn't want that lying around, would they?"

"That's a brilliant theory, Hermione," said Ron, "with just one tiny flaw. There's nothing written in this diary."

Hermione pulled out her wand. "It might be invisible ink. Aparecium!"

Nothing happened. The pages remained blank. 

"I don't know, guys," said Anne, uneasily. "But I got a bad feeling about this. Maybe we shouldn't be fooling around with this diary. It could be dangerous."

"What do you mean dangerous?" asked Harry.

"I'm saying it could be cursed ---- it might be an artifact of dark magic. My dad, being an expert on dark magic, told me about books that don't respond to any simple magic is often an indication that they could be cursed with dark magic," Anne explained. "Or worse, if you try to read or write in them, they could attack you in terrible ways."

"So what do you suggest we do with it?" asked Ron.

"I suggest we turn it over to Dumbledore. He might know what to do about it."

Hearing that the possibility that the diary could contain dark magic, Ron and Hermione agreed. Harry hesitated though. He wanted to know more about this Tom Riddle. He was sure Riddle was the key to unlocking the mystery of the Chamber of Secrets.

Days later, the four were walking together across the grounds. Anne was listening astonished and horrified as Harry was telling her about what he had learned from the diary.

"It can't be Hagrid! It just can't be!" cried Anne flabbergasted. "Why did you hang on to that diary? It was bound to do something awful to you!"

"We don't even know this Riddle. He sounds like a dirty rotten snitch to me," said Ron remotely.

"The monster had killed somebody, Ron," Harry mentioned. "What would any of us have done?"

"Look. Hagrid's our friend. Why don't we just go and ask him about it?" Hermione suggested.

"Should we?" said Anne concerned.

"Oh, that'll be a cheerful visit! 'Hello, Hagrid! Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'" said Ron sarcastically.

"Mad and hairy? You wouldn't be talkin' about me now, would ya?"

The four turned around to see Hagrid behind them. Immediately, they felt guilty.

"No!" they all yelled at once.

Harry noticed a large canister Hagrid was carrying. "What's that you got there, Hagrid?"

"Oh, it's Flesh-Eatin' Slug Repellent. For the Mandrakes, ya know. Now accordin' to Professor Sprout, they've still got a bit o' growing up to do. But once their acne's cleared up, we'll be able to chop 'em up and stew 'em, and then we'll get those people down at the hospital un-petrified," said Hagrid. He looked at the four keenly. "In the meantime, though, you four had best be lookin' after yourselves. All right?"

They nodded in reply and watched as Hagrid turned away heading to the greenhouses.

Just then Neville came running up, looking pale with fright. "Harry! I don't know who did it, but you'd better come quick!"

The four raced after him.