12. Ghosts of Past and Future

Finals ran up and slapped Rose in the face; the last week of school before winter break was upon them before she knew what had happened. She was unprepared and felt certain after sitting through the English, science, and incantations exams that she had failed. Algebra 2 was easy now that she understood, and both History of Magic exams were straightforward.

As she went into her Myths of Magic final Thursday morning, she was sad to leave this class behind. She loved that class. Bennett was an engaging teacher, and the subject was fascinating. So, Rose sat for her exam with some regret.

Then she was left with just her Arts final project to complete. Rose had thought a lot about this, wanting to play piano. But, she hadn't played since Thanksgiving, and not in front of anyone else since the first day. She worried she wouldn't be able to maintain Control. A song had been swirling through her mind, inspired by Ellie's dancing. It took the Empathic Magic her friend had spun into her moves and brought them to life with sounds. She wove those feelings together with her own frustrations about people, like Grant, not understanding her silence. She played it often with no outward sounds on her cardboard piano keyboard.

After the incident at the museum, she had watched Ellie dance quite a few more times, and after one, she approached her about the idea: Is there any way you can dance with me for my Arts final? I mean, I will play music, you dance, scratched out on the edge of her school folder.

"OhmigodIwouldtotallylovetodothatareyoukiddingme??" Ellie gushed.

Rose smiled, snorting a laugh at Ellie's enthusiasm.

"I'lltalktoBroertodayandmakesureitwillbeokandIwilldomyfinalearlyandholycowIcan'twaittohearyouplay!"

Rose had never heard someone talk so fast in her life, and she had never been choked in such a hug as Ellie gave her. It amused her, and it made her feel special. She mattered to Ellie; for whatever reason, Ellie liked her.

So, she walked into the Arts studio after lunch that Thursday before Christmas vacation with Ellie by her side. From the center of the room, Mrs. Cowdrey sent Rose a questioning look. Rose gave her a thumbs up in answer, but she didn't think it was the answer her teacher was looking for.

"This is so neat. It's like having a museum, and ooh!" Ellie exclaimed as music began to play. They turned to see Tommy drumming and another long-haired boy strumming. "Those boys are so cute!" Rose felt odd listening to Tommy's performance, as the Empathic Magic made her simultaneously calm and creeped out, like someone was watching her. She had his note in her pocket, and she considered giving it to him now. But that would mean interrupting his final.

Ellie tugged on her hand, and they walked arm-in-arm around the room, looking at all the art displayed around the large room. There were many pleasant pieces, some with and some without Empathy behind them. Rose took longer than Ellie, so they split apart after one wall.

"Aw, look at this one," called Ellie from five pictures down.

Rose glanced quickly at the ones in between as she passed and got to a drawing of a Teddy bear. It was snuggly. It had empathy.

"It's mine, I did this," said a pudgy elementary boy with blonde hair and freckles.

"It's really sweet," said Ellie, hugging the kid, who looked like he had just found twenty bucks on the street.

Rose moved on down the wall. Her eyes found a disturbing puddle of red. But as she approached, the Empathy burning through the page was not pain as she expected. It was--

She was in awe at what she felt.

It was gratitude. It was admiration. It boiled red with blood lost and blood returned. It pooled trust. It vomited, "I will never betray you." It smeared happiness. Alastair was pretty good at this Empathic Magic thing, in Rose's opinion.