One

Here is the first chapter! Hopefully, this is the first one of regular updates! Enjoy!

***

"Cheers!" We all sang as we clinked our champagne glasses together. Still smiling, we took an obligatory sip from them.

"I can't believe, Christopher," my mother said, patting my soon-to-be father-in-law's hand as it rested on the table. She had a clear catch in her throat and the sheen of tears threatened in her eyes. "That in only two weeks, our children will finally be married!"

The thought of standing at that altar, in that short amount of time, sent butterflies flying around my stomach in sheer excitement. I was so close to marrying James; the only man I had ever loved and the only man I planned to love for the rest of my life.

"And what's more," my father spoke up, with his booming, commanding voice. We all turned our heads to focus on him. "We will connect our business in more ways than one! Think of the fantastic reputation we'll have when not only our children, but a married couple, take over the business! Speaking of Christopher, how are you getting along with the new investors?"

I rolled my eyes and took another sip of champagne, letting the glass dangle near my lips just a fraction too long. This would now be the time I zoned out. Of course, my father would use our celebratory family dinner as a chance to talk business. Don't get me wrong, I was sure the fact that I had found the love of my life positively thrilled him. But I was also sure that he saw this wedding as a brand-new business venture and advertising ploy. What could be more perfect than his daughter and the son of his best friend and business partner getting married? Think of the publicity. It was almost like the business gods had drawn us together, so we could carry on the ever-popular and very profitable Park & Poole hotel chain.

You know, not the fact that our love drew us together or anything...

"Gee, Dad," I joked, cutting him off in his prime before he could go any further. I took yet another sip of my champagne. This earned a disapproving look from my fiancé due to my excessive - or what he called excessive - drinking. I ignored that expression as I was used to it. I would usually respond by taking yet another sip to spite him. But this time, I focused more on getting my point across to my father than joking with my fiancé. "Anyone would assume you planned on having both yours and Christopher's children getting married. You too," I turned and playfully smirked at my soon-to-be father-in-law.

"Now, now, don't be like that," my dad scolded, with a smile on his lips, so I knew I hadn't offended him too much. "It has only appeared to have worked out perfectly. I, for one, am not complaining."

Nodding, I said nothing in response. I only drained the last few drops of my glass. After that, I made a note to stop drinking for the rest of the night. I didn't want to annoy James further, though I could get around him with a mere flutter of the eyes. Drinks like champagne and especially Prosecco went straight to my head. If I had another couple of glasses of the fizzy goodness, I would most certainly be drunk. James would have to carry me out of this very fancy restaurant. And that would not be good for anyone's reputation.

Thankfully, the meal didn't take too long after that and James and I were soon back in our fancy apartment in central Manchester; it was close to everything we needed. Groaning, I hung my bag up on the coat hanger behind the door and slipped my heels off and left them by the door. I could guess it wouldn't please James, but I would move them soon. All I wanted to do was sit down and take the weight off my feet. High heels were not my friends. I would probably go as far as to declare them my enemy. If I had my way, I would much rather have worn my Vans, but even I had to admit, they wouldn't go with my rather delicate cocktail dress.