Chapter 11 The Sorting

The room was very dark and cramped. The only light peeking was that from a small window near the ceiling. Fred leaned at the wall. His face was showing a bit because of the light from the window. Heather, on the other hand, leaned on the wall opposite to Fred's so that they would be facing each other. The light only showed Heather's eyes making it bluer than it was before.

It was pure silence. None of them started even a simple 'Hi' or a 'How are you?' until Fred finally spoke.

"So, erm." Fred started, breaking the ice. "Do you have a date for the ball?"

Fred looked directly at Heather. That's just great, Fred. A big way to start. Not even a 'hi'? Don't you know how to say a simple 'hi'? Fred thought as he waited for an answer. He just had to stand up for what he already said.

"No one." Heather answered. She was not looking at Fred. Get me out o' here! Heather thought.

"Oh?" Fred said as he looked away and brushed his hair with his fingers. What now? Okay, Fred, you coward. Let's just stand here and stare at her, shall we? Because we are very speechless and stupid. Just bloody tease her or something! He thought as he looked at Heather again.

"Mind choosing between me and my brother?" Fred asked. He was already very pissed with himself saying things he didn't want to. Bloody hell, Fred, really?

Heather looked at him with the same look she gave him back at the Gryffindor common room when he teased her and George as a blossoming couple. She then looked at the ground then at Fred. The pish, Fred. That's not funny.

"Ye really want me to choose?" Heather asked looking at Fred with a worried face.

Fred only nodded. But as Heather was about to answer, a loud voice came from behind the door saying 'Time's up!' Heather and Fred looked at each other in surprise. Heather smiled weakly at Fred.

"George." She finally said as the doorknob turned.

Fred froze. She chose George. He thought, and he didn't like that. Then thoughts flooded him: the first time he talked to Heather back at Snape's detention, Heather teaching him hippogriff flight, Heather smiling at him genuinely her cute dimples etched on her cheecks, and those many times, right before they even met, that they would catch each others gazes for a while before they turn away. There was something even before they got to know each other. Those things that happend right before this very moment belonged to him and Heather alone. Then he imaginedGeorge and Heather holding each other hand in hand while he walked behind them. They looked lovingly at each others eyes. No! It's just wrong that she chose George. I can't accept that! Seeing them together is just... wrong...

As the door opened, Fred grabbed Heather to a hug then a small whoosh was heard. Upon hearing the sound, George opened the door completely and found no one in the room. He scanned it one more time thinking of an explanation. Then a thought came to him making him smile widely. This wasn't part of the plan, Freddie.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred and Heather had finally touched ground. There was cold breeze and rustling of grass. The wind felt nice to the touch like that time when they were raking leaves for Snape's detention. Heather opened her eyes. Fred was still hugging her, but her heart pounded loudly. He'll know! She thought as she pushed Fred away. She didn't talk. She only looked away from him.

"A-are you alright?" Fred asked nearing her a bit. "Hurt anywhere?"

Heather looked at the surroundings. She felt confused but a bit nostalgic.

"At the middle of a field, Fred." She said, looking around then gave Fred a very weak smile trying to keep calm. "In nowhere. What are we doing 'ere?"

"I just thought, you know." Fred answered not really knowing what to say. Fred Weasley. Why? He thought asking himself.

Heather just looked at Fred. Maybe he just wanna show off apparition? 'A dunno! 'A don' like this tension, not good fer me. Heather thought, for she was sweating pellets.

"M-maybe 'A best go, aye?" Heather said dotting the conversation, but Fred didn't seem to want to end it just yet.

"George," he started "Why George?" He asked. Heather only looked down.

"Em...b-because i's jus' George." Heather answered.

Fred was not satisfied. Just George? Bloody hell!

"If he's just George then I'm just Fred." Fred said. "That's pretty mean." He continued, crossing his arms and giving her a pout.

Pish that pout. Heather thought looking at Fred a bit then immediately turning away.

"Looking down a lot, are we?" Fred asked smiling genuinely at Heather.

Heather looked at Fred seriously then smiled worriedly her dimples showing.

"Ye notice a lo' o' things, Fred." She said.

"Only with you, actually." Fred said smiling widely. His smile slowly disappeared when a thought came to him, and it came with a bang. He did notice a lot of things when it comes to Heather: her cute smile, long brown hair, blue coat, even her mannerisms like looking at the ground when she gets shy! He stared at Heather. He didn't want her to date his brother at all. He didn't want her to choose George because he wanted her to choose him. He wanted to be with her. It was sorted now.

"Fred?" Heather asked her eyes looking from side to side then at him. "Everything fine?"

"Y-yeah." Fred answered, blinking. He then looked at the ground and made a heavy sigh, and then at Heather, smiling.

"Em..." Heather started already confused about what was happening to Fred. Why does he keep making different reactions?

"Miss Quigg," Fred teased as he stepped closer to Heather. "Would you like to go to the Yule Ball with me?"

Heather froze. She didn't know how to feel. Fred was smiling mischievously at her. She actually felt happy for a while and almost gave him a 'Yes' when a thought came to her.

"Bloody hell is wrong with ye, Mr. Weasley!" Heather exclaimed a bit irritated. "One moment ye bring me 'ere not knowing the reason why, an' now yer asking me to the ball!"

Fred only smiled at her still as if he knew what he was doing all along, that he brought her there just to ask her to the ball and that he ran their conversation to this point.

"You tell me." Fred said. "I'm only like this when I'm with my Feather."

"Cut the tease, Mr. Weasley." Heather said as she held her forehead, massaging it in circular patterns. "I's actually hard to read you everytime ye know."

"It's not a tease." Fred said, smile disappearing in exchange of seriousness. "I do want you to come to the ball with me, lass."

Heather stared at Fred then at the ground. She was blushing mad, and couldn't stop smiling.

"An' if 'A say no?" Heather teased, giving back Fred's mischievous smile at him.

Fred fixed his gaze at Heather then wrapped his arms around her waist. Smile disappeared completely from Heather's face in exchange of blushing cheeks. She looked down in embarrassment not expecting Fred to act this way. Fred leaned closer to her ear.

"Still a no?" He whispered ever so sweetly. "I reckon I take you to the ball or no one at all, lassie"

Why are ye doing this Fred Weasley?! Heather thought repeatedly in her head. They just paused there a while, but later on she gave him a nod.

"Aye, I'll go with ye." Heather whispered barely audible.

Fred smiled widely. He leaned closer to her leaning his forehead to hers.

"It's a date." Fred whispered as Heather nodded once again.