Hector Barbossa x reader (soulmate au)

Author note:

Thank you all for your patience.

Fulfilling a request from BENPLAYSS.

To remain canon compliant with the films, Barbossa has already had Carina and is dropping her off at the orphanage where he meets reader. 

(man/woman) = pick your preference

(e/c) = eye colour

----------------------------------- Begin -------------------------------

The moon rests, her light does not grace the earth tonight. The shadows seem deeper and longer, swallowing every vestige of light from the candles perched in windowsills. It is is a perfect night for those who need to walk unseen.

A figure clutching a basket in their arms slinks along the walls. A faint sniffling comes from the basket and the figure stops. "Shh shh it's okay." They rearrange the folded sailcloth to better tuck in the babe. As the girl settles, she looks up and coos at the figure, big eyes blinking owlishly. He bites his lip and chokes, "don't look at me like tha'." A thumb strokes along the babe's cheek, the figure watching as their eyes slowly close and they drift back into the land of dreams.

Having calmed the child, the figure opts to cross the street to an alleyway. Moonlight illuminating pale eyes set between salt-streaked hair and a neatly trimmed beard.

The man darts hesitantly down the alleyway. Wobbling slightly as he sways with the child in his arms. The soft swish of his cloak and scuffle of his shoes are the loudest sounds around.

Emerging from the alleyway, the man shields his eyes from the sudden glow of a lantern spilling from the nearby doorway. The sign above reads Orfanato. His destination has been reached.

Slowly shuffling forward, he places the basket in the doorway. Stroking a lock from the girl's face, he smiles softly, tears tracing their way down his cheeks. He draws a journal and sealed letter from his cloak and tucks them into the basket beside the babe. "Goodbye." Standing, he turns and crosses the courtyard again.

His feet halt. Rooted to the spot only three paces away from his precious cargo. "One last glimpse," he mutters and makes to turn.

"Leaving a child is one of the most difficult challenges in this world. Take one more look and you won't be able to leave her."

The voice darts from the shadows and the man jumps. Eyes darting around with the fear of a child who feels they've been caught doing something they shouldn't.

A hooded figure leans against the wall, moonlight pooling at their feet. They shift and stand, pulling back their hood to reveal a (man/woman), (e/c) eyes intently studying the man's form.

He shuffles, body tense with the urge to grab the child and run. "Sounds like you speak from experience."

They jolt upwards. "What did you..." they cut themselves off and kneel. Drawing the lip of their trousers up to their knee and studying the words carved into their skin just below. They flicker in the lamplight. A sigh issues from their lips and they stand, letting the cloth slip from their fingers. "How could I expect anything else?" A ruthful chuckle fights its way out from their mouth. What's your name?"

The man relaxes marginally, the same realisation now dawning in him. "Hector."

"Well Hector, I'm (Y/n). I work here", they gesture to the doorway, "...what's their name?"

Hector fights the urge to turn. "She...Her name is Carina." He shakes his head before crossing to (Y/n). Standing between them and the Orphanage doorway. The smell of salt and pipe smoke washes over (Y/n). "You work here?"

(Y/n) grins, "sometimes the niños think going for a night-time stroll is a good idea." Hector's eyes alight upon the orphanage's badge stitched into their shirt. Calloused fingers find (y/n)'s in the dark.

"You'll look after her?"

The response is immediate, "As if she were my own."