22. Carnaval (EDITED)

22. Carnaval

Sandwiched between Toni and her brother, Sofi followed the bloquinhos down the avenue. Massive and bejeweled, they pumped a cascade of drums and electric notes. The music drew the people close and packed them in tight. Sofi's second beer made her a little more tolerant of the sweat and skin pressing in from all directions.

Arturo was long past his limit and deep in the traveling concert. He popped in the air with each wave of melodies, lyrics bursting from his lips. Toni was a more sober sight, but not by much. His black v-neck made him stand out in the ocean of glitter and neon. It was hard to ignore the hard line where his sleeves hugged his biceps. Especially whenever they flexed to block the flirtatious passerby.

The night stretched on. Arturo got carried away with the crowd, determined to keep up with the floating band. Only then did Sofi feel comfortable enough to drift closer to Toni. The thought of dancing against him crossed her mind, but she chose not to entertain it. His chest at her back, vibrating in sync with the songs, and his hand protectively on her hip – that was enough for her.

~

With one last grunt, Toni and Sofi flopped Arturo onto the mattress. He snored blissfully while they tugged off his shoes. He smelled so strongly of booze and sweat, when they could finally shut the door on him, it felt like a blessing.

"I'll go back in there later," Sofi said, "when the air clears up."

"I'll wait with you," Toni said. They found a bench just outside the inn. Part of Sofi had dreaded this moment. When they would inevitably run out of music and lights to distract them.

She hadn't even thought about Amancio or the river until now. She didn't want to spoil this night like she always managed to do whenever she was with Toni.

To Sofi's surprise, Toni didn't bring up the Encantados. Instead he asked, "How is your mamãe?"

Several blocks away, Carnaval was still going strong. Sofi used the marching hum to steady her. "Well, she's not very happy that there are days when a complete stranger cleans her sheets and feeds her."

Her voice sounded so hollow to her own ears. There was once a time when she wouldn't want Toni or anyone to hear it, but now she hardly cared.

"I take it she doesn't consider your brother or Maya to be strangers," Toni said carefully.

Sofi huffed. "Of course not." She shook her head and looked up at the stars. "Do you know what she used to call me before she got sick?"

Toni looked at her in silence.

Sofi exhaled hard. A tear carved a river to her jaw. "Minha anjinha. My little angel."

Toni's rough hands pulled her attention off the sky. His thumbs guided the tears towards her temples with the same dexterity he used to peel a mango.

"Sofi, don't do this to yourself."

She gave a wet chuckle. "God. What I would give to hear her call me that one more time before she . . ."

Toni's mouth found hers . . . and then she lost him. Too soon.

"Shit." He drew back. His palms became a bowl for his face. "I'm so . . . drunk."

Sofi reached for him, but her hand hesitated over his shoulder. She pulled her arm back and stood up. "I'm going for a walk. Just up the street. I won't be long."

Toni nodded without looking at her. She left him to war with himself in peace.

The movement and solitude brought the clarity she needed. On her way back, she passed several gated alleys. There was, however, only one that called her name.

Sofi covered her mouth and prayed that this was a dream.

"Amancio?"

He leaned against the wall of the building, fighting to stay upright. Sofi flung open the gate and stole into the tight space.

"What are you doing this far from the river? Won't this make you sick?"

Amancio's eyes were in and out of focus. "I wanted to show you that I could be human too. I wanted –" he retched. Sofi didn't step back fast enough. Looking down brought something else to her attention.

"Amancio, what is that?"

He wiped his mouth. "He thought I needed a doctor. Started shouting. It was drawing too much attention."

A body. There was a whole body facedown in the alley.

Sofi stared at it. "Is he dead?"

That childlike innocence burned in his eyes. "I didn't mean to."

Sofi edged backwards. "Don't come near me again. Do you understand?"

Amancio stumbled. "Wait. My mentor did something to me. Something is wrong with my head."

Sofi closed the gate on him.

"He said that things were going to get worse."

She shrieked as he crashed against the metal. "My memories! I need them. You have to help me." He tore her shirt. "Please!"

Sofi managed to break free. Rain stung her skin as she put distance between herself and the Encantado. By the time she reached Toni, the sudden downpour drummed louder than any floating concert.