3.iii Amancio (EDITED)

3.iii Amancio

Arturo went to check on his sister as soon as he got home from work. He found her in the same position on her bed since that morning. Apparently she hadn't moved.

He figured it might be best to leave her in peace, when something caught his eye. The window was open. A yellow butterfly balanced on the edge.

"Did you really stay in here all day?" Arturo asked as he made his way to the window to observe the insect.

"Yeah." Her voice sounded far away.

Arturo turned away from the window and sat down at the foot of her bed.

"Is that so? That's strange . . . because today Toni said he saw you in town earlier."

Sofi rolled her eyes. "I did go out for a little while."

"And you got a tan!"

Sofi eyebrows pinched together. "So what?"

"So," Art scooted closer to her, "I think it's good that you're getting out and talking to people. You know Toni has a sister, Paola. You two are around the same age. I'll ask him to bring her by sometime."

Sofi groaned. "Art, I'm not five. You don't need to arrange playdates for me. Look, just stay out of my business, okay?"

"Jeez, fine. Good night."

Knowing it would drive her crazy, Arturo bent to kiss her forehead. When she tried to swat him away, he seized her wrists and rushed to tickle her. They squirmed and screamed like children until the tender moment was interrupted by a moan from down the hall.

Mãe.

Arturo swiftly left Sofi to tend to her. Sofi followed him to the room, but didn't go inside. Instead, she peeked through the door and watched as Arturo knelt down by their mother's side and comforted her. He clutched her weak, colorless hand between his while his lips uttered a series of prayers. Sofi stood there, wondering how God could possibly hear it over their mother's hysterical opera.