Chapter 3

Carissa shot her a twisted face, "Well it better be a promposal that's so important."

Like the non-confrontational girl that she was, Jesse just rolled her eyes in response.

I knew she hated every word that came out of Carissa's mouth in regards to her boyfriend. Jesse's world was meant to be full of kind words, compassion and bliss.

A divine alchemy that appeared heavenly.

So instead of feeding fuel to the present fire that took the form of my daughter, Jesse chose to keep quiet and settled to submission.

"I'm serious," Carissa snapped back harshly. Her slender hand decorated with amethyst colored acrylics reached out to grab the iced cup of coffee that was watered down from the melted ice.

Something they always did since they started high school together: go to the local café that was near the school. It was close and they also got discounts for being students.

However the two of them couldn't be more different. Down to their personalities to the types of drinks they favored.

Whereas Carissa got her fix and high energy from a cup of coffee, Jesse preferred teas. Chamomile, ginger and lemon drinks without caffeine in them. Carissa liked the energy that coffee brung to her, addicted to the anxious and bouncy effects it promises after drinking it. Jesse disliked it. She didn't want the headaches and nausea that came with it. She wanted the peace, calm and soothings.

So she vowed to only ever drink hot teas, never cold, whenever they went to any café for that matter.

There was a small splash sound that the cup of caffeinated liquid she was reaching out for made when it spilt. It spread across the white marble and slowly dripped onto Carissa's expensive pair of white jeans.

"Shit," She gasped and jumped up.

And despite my daughter's obvious state of momentary distress, I had to crack a boyish smile at the loud laugh that escaped Jesse's plump crimson lips and clashes with Carissa's expressive language.

"Fuck off, Jesse."

My smile dropped then, the grumpy scowl I normal wore all day long returning to my face. "Don't talk to your friends that way," I gave her a hard look. "It's rude, Carissa. I raised you better than that."

Perhaps I didn't really care about the swearing and I just didn't like the way she speaking to Jesse. My sweet girl didn't deserve to spoken to like so. If it was up to me, she would only hear praises and classical sounds of poetry.

"Well you barely raised me at all," Was mumbled bitterly.

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing," She snapped back. "It was nothing. It's not like she'll take it to the heart. If she did then she should probably grow up and stop being so sensitive. Whatever, I'm taking a shower because my legs are sticky now." Scrunching her nose up in disgust, Carissa waddled her way out of the dining room that was connected to where I was in the kitchen and shuffled upstairs to the bathroom with a slam to the door.

She was pissed to say the least.

But if anyone was more pissed than her, it was me.