Chapter 17

**Please Comment/Vote to let me know what you think!**

An Exchange of Information

"Would you like to dance?"

I sighed down at the lemon cake in my hand, before reluctantly turning in the direction the voice had come from. Carmine Asaro stood beside me, looking rather bored of the entire night. Glad I'm not the only one.

I nodded mutely, giving my lemon cake one last longing look as I set the entire plate down on the hors d'oeuvres table. It would likely be discarded by a servant before I could make it back to eat it. He held out his arm for me to take.

As he led me to the dance floor, I worked to keep the frown from my face.

I usually rather enjoyed balls and dancing. Attending them was one of the few actually fun responsibilities as a royal, but I couldn't shake that sour feeling that had been twisting in my heart over the past few days. As if there was something missing that I just couldn't place. Not to mention, I had only just escaped from dancing with the black haired man from my table at the feast. The man, who I learned was named Giulio, spent the entirety of the dance prattling on about the various ins and outs of the modern spice trade. He was the only heir to the Maio Trading Company, and seemed to think that everyone needed to know it. Whether they wanted to, or not.

Carmine found a spot for us near the edge of the swarm of waiting dancers, and let our arms drop. I smoothed out the skirts of my dress.

Ava had exchanged the lilac and pearl gown I had worn to the feast, for an indigo number with layers of chiffon skirts that twirled out around me in a dance. My hair was still pulled tightly back, but instead of the bun I had sported earlier, my hair was left to flow down from the ponytail in soft curls that tickled my bare shoulders when I moved my head. The dainty pearl tiara was replaced by a larger diamond and amethyst piece.

Carmine's hands found my waist as the music began, and we moved as one to the familiar beat. After a moment, he spoke, tilting his head down slightly, "Is it me, or do these things get more dull with each passing year?"

I couldn't keep the smile from my lips, glancing up at him, "Something like that."

His responding smile brought out dimples in his cheeks that I had never noticed before. I swallowed, looking away quickly.

I had known Carmine nearly his entire life. The Asaro family spent almost triple the amount of time here, at our castle, than in their own estate in the lands they govern, and our families got along quite well. But, I had never felt so strange in his presence before, never looked at him twice.

Now, I couldn't help from noticing all of the similarities he shared with the man I couldn't get out of my head. Or, perhaps it was because I couldn't keep him from my mind that I was finding so many resemblances. There was nothing I could do to stop the comparisons from forming. His eyes were a shade lighter than Angelo's, but just as bright. His hair was a hint darker, but the curls looked nearly as soft.

I found myself wondering what he was doing right then.

Was he at another meeting, deciding which innocent lives to destroy next? Was he with his mysterious family? Or was he at the lake, sitting in the dark, watching the fish jump in the moonlight reflecting off the surface of the water? Was he thinking of me too? Did he ever?

I stopped that thought process right there, before I get any closer to becoming one of the sniveling, love-sick simpletons I swore to never be. It was pointless, anyway. Angelo and I couldn't be together, not now, likely not ever. Any time spent wondering about his feelings for me, would be time wasted. It would be better for everyone if I tried to forget him.