Chapter 11

A Ray of Sunshine

I leaned back on my elbows, trying to bask in the sunlight while it lasted. The book in my hand nearly forgotten, I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. A soft breeze rustled through the trees around me, and one of the dangling branches of the willow tree blew across the distance between us, tickling my arm, as if it were reaching out to ask why I was not sitting in my usual spot against its trunk.

After what happened here the day before, I probably shouldn't have come at all. I knew it was only a matter of time before I heard footsteps. I was not foolish enough to think that he would give up, not when he seemed to be enjoying whatever game he was playing. But I couldn't stand to be back at the castle.

Not after last night.

I had tiptoed around Franco all morning, trying my hardest to avoid eye contact, afraid of the flood of guilt and heartbreak that would fill me if I did. When he tried to corner me again after the meeting, I had lied and told him that my mother had asked for my help. The excuse would hold for perhaps three days total before I would have to come up with a new one. Or tell him the truth, I thought sarcastically. That was definitely not an option. Franco would only urge me to give Angelo a chance, and I couldn't afford any kind of scandal until after the vote this summer. And I was sure that there would be a scandal if he was involved.

As if the thought of his name could summon him, I heard the sound of approaching feet behind me. I didn't turn, just continued to soak in the rare December sunlight, trying to put out the same air of calm that he had the day before. I was ready this time.

Some part of me wondered if perhaps the best course of action would be to consider what little alone time I had managed to get as a win and run back home, but that felt like a concession. I would not surrender my only safe haven away from the castle so easily.

"Sitting on a rock today, I see," his voice floated to me from somewhere close behind, "have you decided to give me the willow tree as a mating gift? That's very kind of you, I accept."

I had planned on ignoring him, but his words had me turning and glaring before I could think better of it. A familiar jolt went through me as my eyes met his, but I reined in my emotions better than last time, and held my ground. "Quite the opposite," I snapped. "In fact, I've been coming here for years, I'd appreciate it if you found somewhere else to loiter."

He looked more on edge than he had the day before, almost haggard, as if he hadn't slept. There was a hint of stubble lining his jaw, and for a moment some instinctual part of me wanted to reach out and run my fingers along it before I checked myself once more. Despite his weary appearance, he was leaning against the trunk of a nearby tree with his arms crossed, still doing his best to appear indifferent and, when I responded to his goading, his bright eyes alit in a way that told me he was enjoying himself already. "Ah, but I've grown rather fond of it. It is a very nice tree, I think you'll just have to get used to me."

I grimaced to show him exactly what I thought of that, and twisted back around to continue sunbathing as if he had never even appeared. He gave me a few moments of peace, sliding his body down the length of the trunk and settling himself against its base.

When he spoke again, his words had my heart sinking to my toes, "So what is your big plan with the beta? What happens when he inevitably finds his mate? Or, have you not thought that far ahead?"

At his condescending tone, I was once again twisting around to glare at him, but he had the hood of his black coat pulled down over the top half of his face, as if he planned on falling asleep at any point in our conversation. "That is none of your bus–"