Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Lucy woke up to Danny kissing her neck, she giggled and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

“Good morning beautiful,” he mumbled into her neck.

Lucy opened her eyes and smiled at him; he raised his head from her neck and kissed her gently.

“I don’t think I should come to London with you, it really won’t help if we piss him off.” She told him honestly.

As much as she wanted to go to London she was being realistic, Joey was going to find it difficult enough with her having a boyfriend, so running away for the weekend wasn’t going to help their cause.

Danny sighed he knew she was right; he needed to get her brother onside. He didn’t want to meet him until he had won Lucy over completely anyway, but annoying him in such an early stage of their relationship probably wasn’t a wise decision.

“You’re right Cara; we can just see each other while he is at work. You can stay here and I will take you home before he gets back from work.” He suggested.

Lucy was glad he agreed, she couldn’t cope with another argument with Joey she really needed to stay on his good side and break it to him as gently as she could that she was seeing someone.

“Thank you. I know you probably think I’m pathetic because I have to think of him, but he brought me up, and he’s protective.”

Danny didn’t need her to explain herself to him, from what she had told him about her mom and dad, he understood that they were close, they only had each other.

“Its fine Cara, I understand and I’m glad that you have someone that looks after you.” He pulled her onto his chest and twirled one of her curls around his finger.

“I can’t even explain the lengths he has gone to for me to keep me with him, he needed to prove to social services that he was capable of looking after me so he took out a loan and he’s in a mess with it,” she confessed.

Danny raised his eyebrows at her he was glad she felt as though she could speak to her about these things.

“Even after all of these years?” he asked curiously, just how big was the loan he had taken out, for him to still be paying now.

Lucy sighed, “He didn’t take a loan through a bank like a normal person, he took it from a gangster, and he’s been putting interest on it for years. That’s why I have to work all those hours in Murphy’s to help him pay it, because if he doesn’t then who knows what they will do. I’ve heard stories about them and they’re ruthless.”

Danny suddenly felt sick, he had a horrible feeling that her brother had possibly taken a loan with them, it was one of the things along with protection that he offered to people, but business had changed since he was in charge he didn’t add interest anymore. He wanted to get out of the loan business it was too much hassle.

“Who did he take the loan with?” he asked her nervously.

“Beppe Capardi,” she revealed.

 As soon as she said his father’s name, he had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, and he need to fix it quickly.

“I could go and see him, and get him to drop the loan.” He offered.

Lucy started to laugh it was sweet of him to offer, but he obviously had no idea what they were like.

“I was going to see him myself, but Joey won’t let me.” She said with a sigh.

Danny had to hide his surprise, so it was Joey O’Connor. The same Joey that had paid his loan off, and took another one out with Beppe before he handed the business to Danny. The same Joey that was going around beating people up for him.