Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Lucy looked over at Joey and grimaced, she knew it was foolish of her to piss her husband off. Part of her believed that he would have understood, knowing that he had broken the law so many times himself that he wouldn’t watch someone else go to prison especially for something that was out of their control. The other part of her told her she had done the right thing, because her husband hated Joey with a passion.

“It’s okay Luce, don’t worry about Danny he’ll get over it believe me,” he told her.

If it was meant to make her feel better then it didn’t work, if anything she felt worse. She should have least given him an explanation but no she left him in a cloud of dust she could just picture the look of anger on his face.

“It’s not okay, but it’s too late now,” she said pulling into the airport.

They got out of the car and walked into the check in lounge and Joey gave her a hug, “It’s best if you leave now it will make it easier,” he told her.

Lucy shook her head, she didn’t care how painful it was she wanted to see him off safely. She waited as he walked over the check in desk and handed his passport to the woman behind the desk. Lucy watched as the woman looked over Joey’s passport then handed it back to him with his ticket. She sighed in relief, for a moment she suspected the woman knew he was on the run.

“My flight is in a couple of hours,” he told her he was trying to make her leave but he could see from the look on her face she was going no where.

“That’s alright, I can wait.”

They sat down and waited in silence, Joey rested his head against the wall and closed his eyes, he would be away from it all soon. Lucy looked up when a man from the airport walked over to where they were sitting and cleared his throat. Lucy grimaced when she saw the swarms of police with him, they knew and now there was no escaping them. She nudged Joey in his side and he opened one eye, he looked over at the police with wide eyes as they closed in on him.

Lucy watched on in horror as they proceeded to arrest her brother and drag him away, what she didn’t expect was to be arrested herself and despite Joey’s protests that she had no involvement they took her away anyway.

Lucy was taken to a holding cell and she sat waiting for an officer to come, she was tired and just wanted to go home and forget about the whole sorry situation. The door to the cell opened and the officer led her to an interview room. She had never been arrested before and had no idea how the system worked or what she was meant to do, but she knew from the amount of crime programs she saw on the television that she should say nothing without a lawyer.

She didn’t have Danny’s lawyers phone number and instead had to see the lawyer that resided at the police station. The whole time she couldn’t get Joey out of her head, he was going to prison for sure this time and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. He had made things ten times worse by running if anything he looked guilty.

“Now you have a lawyer present are you ready to answer some questions?” the officer asked.

Lucy nodded and the officer told her his name was PC Doyle and explained to her how the interview would work and that the evidence could be used in court. Lucy nodded in agreement and the interview began.

“What were you doing at the airport with your brother?” he asked.

Lucy shifted around she was uncomfortable under the intense gaze of the officer and didn’t know whether to lie or to tell the truth. Knowing that lying was never a wise decision she decided it was better to tell the truth.

“I took him there,” she told him.

The officer wrote down what she was telling him then looked at her again, “Even though you knew he was on bail for a serious attack that as a result a person has died.”

Lucy looked down at the table in front of her, anger coursing through her, “Yes I am aware of that, but you didn’t know my father. You have no idea how cruel he could be, he provoked my brother!”

The officer pursed his lips, noted what she said then looked back up at her, “Oh so were you present when the attack took place?”

“No,” she told him.

“Right so you can’t actually say that the suspect was provoked. It must be hard knowing that the man that brought you up killed your father.”

Before Lucy could answer him the lawyer cut in, “I wasn’t aware that my client was being interviewed about the attack on her father?”

The officer nodded and looked away from them, “For the benefit of the tape ignore the last statement.”

Lucy had to sit through another two hours of being interviewed before she was finally released on bail pending a court case. When she got out of the police she had been furious to discover that Danny’s car was impounded for evidence. She got her phone and called him, dreading what he was going to say. When he answered the phone she could hear the fury in his voice, and promptly burst into tears.

“Cara please don’t cry, you know I hate it when you cry what’s happened?” he asked gently.

He wasn’t expecting to hear what she told him and by the end of her teary outburst he was positively furious. He wasn’t angry with her it was the police he hated the police at the best of times but to hear the way they had treated her angered him beyond words.

“I’m coming to get you now don’t worry,” he reassured.

He didn’t want her panicking over it, once he spoke to his lawyer she was not going to get into trouble for it. It didn’t take him long to arrive at the station and it took a serious amount of begging to stop him from storming in there and giving them all a piece of his mind.

“You’re an idiot!” he told her when they got into the car.

Lucy glared at him, “You don’t need to tell me that, don’t you think I don’t know that!” she screamed at him.

Danny shook his head, she obviously didn’t know just how stupid she was because time and time again she made foolish decisions. Only this time things were different she was carrying his children and he wasn’t putting up with any more rash decisions by her.

“I suggest you leave Joey to it from now on. He can do the time like the rest of us have had to. Some of us aren’t afraid to face up to our crimes!” he told her angrily.

In his eyes Joey was a coward, he had never been afraid to go to prison. If he was caught then he did the time and that was the end of it, there was never any ideas of running away in his mind. He wasn’t that weak or stupid.

“How dare you, it’s not like you have ever faced anything like what he has. He’s on a murder charge!” she hissed.

Danny shook his head at her again, “No Lucy he’s on a manslaughter charge actually and I’ll have you know that I was inside for three years!”

Lucy couldn’t hide the look of shock that crossed her face, she had already been told that Joey would face up five years but to discover that her husband had done three years was a shock.

“What did you do?” she asked her voice trembling.

“I shot the man that killed my brother in a club that was packed with people, I got six years but only did half of that for good behaviour inside.” He explained.

Lucy suddenly felt sick, it was as though she didn’t even know this man that she had married. That’s when it hit her, she really didn’t know anything about him and now not only was she married to him but she was having his babies. Just what kind of a world was she about to expose her children to, because the man sitting next to her in the car was definitely not the man she thought he was.