Pressure Pressure Pressure

Stacey

I sit in class, a series of thoughts swirling through my head. The nonsense on the board makes my head hurt because I can't concentrate on it. Across the classroom, my old friend is glaring in my direction. I turn away, not being able to stand the painful memories. The girl next to me is quickly scribbling down some answers, but all I can think about it the party tonight, and what's happening there. A few weeks ago, I wouldn't even think about going, however now, I am a different person, and nobody can stop me.

An empty page lies in my exercise book. I haven't even written the date. I guess another detention is coming my way, plus another lecture about how I'm not what I used to be. The only trouble is; people change, and I guess mine was for the worst. A note falls across my table. It is Roxy, wondering whether I'm at the party tonight. As I nod my head in her direction, a wide grin spreads across her face, and she gives me the thumbs up sign. I can still feel the eyes of the past glaring at me from behind, but I don't care anymore. Now I'm having much more fun, without her. Ticking slowly, the clock begins to make me smile. Two more minutes to go. Two more minutes of torture.

            "Stacey, what's the answer to question six?" Mrs Jenkins asks me. Raising my head, I glare at her, whilst thinking of something to say, because I hadn't even started question one, never mind six.

            "Well miss, the answer is, I couldn't be bothered to do it," I replied, a sly smile creeping on to my lips. A  bellowing laugh explodes from Roxy, which creates a domino effect across the classroom, until a whole eruption comes from the rest of them, accept a certain few, who were scowling in my direction. Mrs Jenkins glowered at me, her eyes telling a whole story. Well, I enjoyed the moment while it lasted, because later, I would be in for it.

            "Stacey Saunders, get out of my classroom, now!" she yelled. I should have just gone, left it there, but I wanted to impress Roxy, to prove she hadn't been wrong about accepting me.

            "Well miss, I think you'll find that it isn't your classroom, you don't own it, so you can't tell me to get out," I laugh. The red in her face deepens, he brow creases even further, and if looks could kill, I would definitely be under a grave stone. My freedom is granted as the wonderful bell rings, I sling my bag over my shoulder, and walk from the room, leaving my empty exercise book on the table, to wind her up even further.

Now it was time to run, because there wasn't much time before the head of year was storming after me, after the escapade in maths. Free at last, I stroll out of the gate, head in the clouds. Roxy was going to be pleased. I did more than she asked. God knows what would have happened if I hadn't. She's got friends, has Roxy. Too many friends in my opinion. The day I accepted to be in the gang, was the day I accepted the rules. And rule number one was to always do as you were asked. I don't want to even think about the punishment for rule breakers. I guess I was trapped in these agreements for now.

My house isn't far from school. Just about a mile down the road. As I was walking, Roxy called my mobile.

            "Nice work kid! That display in maths had her freaking out man! You have got to do that again some time!" she exclaimed. Well, I guess that could be taken as an order, sorry Mrs Jenkins, but you're not going to like teaching me anymore.

            "Nah, it was nothing, any time," I say.

            "So, you still up for that party at Nathan's tonight?" she asks with inquisitiveness.