Dance with Me

As they rode home in Diane's car, Abigail looked out the window, drawing random scribbles in the frost that covered it.

"...and then I tripped over his food, and Mr. Hague glared at us and it was just hilarious!" Diane laughed.

Abby smiled slightly, then returned to drawing on the window.

"Why so quiet?" Diane asked her friend in concern. "Are you still thinking about him? 'Cause sources say he's going to the party tomorrow."

"Who's him?" Diane's mom asked, staring suspiciously at the two girls in her rearview mirror.

"Oh, no one," they both said, retreating into silence. Abigail sent Diane a dirty look. She wasn't sure if she was allowed to date and would rather not have her mom find out about a small crush through Diane's mom. Diane fluttered her eyelashes innocently and smiled.

When they got to Diane's house, Abigail jumped out of the car immediately, her bag trailing behind her. Diane got out with the same amount of enthusiasm and waved goodbye to her mom. "Sleepover!" she exclaimed, giggling and racing Abigail up to her room.

"Okay, okay, okay," Abigail gasped as soon as the door was completely shut. "Who told you he's coming?"

"Nick, apparently Collin was freaking out because he wouldn't know anyone." She brushed some lint off her sleeve. "But now he'll know someone," she added, looking at Abigail knowingly.

Abigail blushed and looked away, trying to hide the color spreading across her cheeks. To be honest, she was quite glad he was shy, or else he would probably have all the girls after him tomorrow. Hopefully he would be comfortable enough with her to at least let her in his confidence. Of course, she'd never admit this to Diane or else she'd never hear the end of the teasing. "That's impossible," she said as nonchalantly as she could, trying to hide the smile on her face. "You've invited practically the all of choir; he's got to know someone!"

Diane rolled her eyes. "Honey, I didn't practically invite all of choir, I DID invite all of choir. Why else would I have invited him? I barely know him," she snorted. "And he won't really talk to anyone. As you very well know, the only person he's really friends with is Nick, and seeing as Nick isn't going, that leaves a slot open for 'Collin's Best Friend of the Night'."

Abigail sighed. She'd love to be his friend for a night, but she'd much rather be good friends with him all the time, not just some random girl to keep him company when he's bored. She mentally slapped herself; where was all this coming from? She couldn't fall for him! Trying to change the subject, she said "You know, you and Nick would be so cute together."

Diane shifted in her seat, smiling slightly. "Really? I've never heard that before. Why?"

"Well, your personalities match together perfectly. I mean, you're all happy and bubbly and he's all chill and funny, and you guys would just look adorable! You could have cute little blue-eyed babies!"

"Slow down, honey! I won't be making babies anytime soon," Diane joked flopping down onto her bed and laying down on her belly. She mused for a second, thinking about Nick. In his own little way, she supposed he was good looking, with his dark hair and blue eyes, but she had never really thought of him like that. Up until this point, she had only thought of him as a friend, nothing more. However, she had to admit that Abigail was right. Nick was funny and a total gentleman, the perfect guy in her eyes.

Abigail grinned cheekily up at her friend from the floor, knowing that Diane was seeing Nick in a new light. They would look so cute together, she thought. In fact, if Diane and Nick started dating and Collin somehow asked her out, they could even double date. She blushed violently, knowing that there was a one in a million chance this would actually happen.