Stalkers, Lovers, and a Bad Case of Awkward

“A WHOLE NEW WORLLLD, A NEW FANTASTIC POINT OF VIEW...” Abigail squealed as she was cut off by a large shape launching itself at her.

“Get off of me, Collin!” she said, slapping his arm lightly.

“Not until you promise to stop singing Disney songs.”

Abigail huffed. “Never!”

Collin stretched out in her lap, his blue eyes glittering wickedly. “Well I guess I'll just have to stay here then. Besides, I can't say I don't like this position.”

Abigail fumed and didn't respond. She felt her cheeks redden at his comment and was thankful that he couldn't see her face. “What's wrong with Disney?” she said after a long stretch of silence. “I love Disney!”

“Nothing,” Collin groaned. “Just the guys might think it's a bit childish and...” He grabbed a pillow and buried his face in it, mumbling.

“What's that?” Abigail grinned. “Is Collin worried he won't seem macho if he sings Disney? Awww, look, wittle Collin's grown up. Isn't he so cute?”

“No!” Collin said vehemently. In a slightly calmer voice, he shook his head. “Of course not. Why would I be worried about that? I'm as macho as it gets. But we should do something more recent, like maybe something from Tangled.”

“Awww, you like Tangled?” Abigail teased. “You're such a girl!”

“Shut up,” Collin grumbled.

“Are you talking to the pillow or to me?”

Collin threw the pillow at her, and she ducked, laughing. “Shut up!”

Abigail popped back up from behind the couch. “Is that the only thing you know how to say?”

“Shut up,” Collin repeated, grabbing another pillow and chucking it at her.

She picked it up off the ground and advanced on him. “Hasn't your mom ever taught you anything about manners? Never hit a girl!” Abigail swung the pillow at him, but was blocked by his arm.

“Fine, I see how it is. If you want to have a pillow fight, bring it on.”

*

“Thanks for the food,” Diane gestured at the table separating her from Nick.

He grunted in response.

Diane groaned inwardly. What was wrong with him? He was normally so willing to make conversation, but for the past few minutes, he had just been sitting there, quietly eating his fries and staring wistfully into space. It felt as if an invisible wall had been constructed between him and the rest of the world.

She picked at her fingernail, trying to find a way to avoid the awkward silence, but she couldn't help stealing little glances at him every now and then. He seemed so consumed in his little world, that she didn't want to bother him, but as she flipped open her phone, she realized how late it was.

“Hey Nick?” she asked.

He turned around to face her, a faraway look in his eyes. “Have you ever had a stalker?”

“What?” Diane asked, thrown completely off guard. “Yeah, I guess. Why?”

“Who was it?”

“Just this kid at a camp I went to. He wouldn't leave me alone. Why the sudden interest?” Diane's hands felt clammy, but she didn't know why.

“I have one too. Actually two,” Nick said, looking straight into her eyes. She somehow couldn't tear her gaze away as he looked at her with an intensity that could shatter the moon. “I just don't know what to do about it!”