Chapter 15: The Road to Our House

The cold wind blew on my face. My feet were standing on the skateboard I was riding on as I was going home from school. The trees passed by like a blur just like most of everything else, and the clouds above were as gloomy as the music playing in my ears. It didn't seem like it was about to rain though, everything just looked melancholy and dreary.

A bench slowly emerged into view, it looked as dull as everything else did. Perhaps today isn't a cheerless day to everyone else as it is to me. Slowly, I let my foot touch the ground, and I came to a halt in front of the bench.

I stared out at the almost-empty street. There were children playing and laughing their hearts out, while there were also adults who walked aimlessly on the sidewalk.

The bench I was sitting on suddenly felt heavy as though someone sat beside me. I glanced to my left expecting to see a stranger, but instead was greeted with those familiar green eyes and black hair.

He said some words that I didn't quite catch. Pausing my music, I unplugged my earphones from my iPod and kept it in my backpack.

"What's up?" Oliver asked. "You look so lost in your thoughts."

"Nothing really, I'm just on my way home," I said.

"Ah. I see," he said nodding.

There was a pause. It wasn't awkward like those in those movies, but instead, it was peaceful and calm.

"What's up with you?" I finally asked.

"On my way to work," he replied casually.

"Ah," I said.

"What's up with you?" He asked.

"You already asked that," I said flatly.

"Yeah, I know, but you just seem really down and, I dunno, gloomy." he said.

"I don't know, probably just a bit tired." I sighed.

"Well, I guess I'll go now," he said getting up, "wouldn't want to be late."

"Alright," I said getting up.

"Are you headed this way," he pointed to his right, "or that way?" He pointed to his left.

"I'm going there," I said pointing to my right.

"My workplace is that way too."

"Let's go then," I said.

"I thought you don't want to be seen with nerds," he said questioningly.

"Whatever."

We both walked, our feet brushing off of the asphalt sidewalk. Our heads looked straight up front, as if the person beside us didn't exist. The silence this time was a bit awkward. It's that kind of silence when both of you don't know what to say but want to say something just to get rid of the awkwardness.

"How's life?" He finally said breaking the silence.

"All the same," I lied. Everything happening is all kinds of different. "How about you?"

"Same," he said.

"You wanna play a game?" He asked.

"You can't be serious," I said incredulously.

"Not like hopscotch or something," he said chuckling. "Like twenty questions."

"So you want to know my secrets," I concluded.

"Not exactly," he said.

"Yeah right."

"So who'll start?"